Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Car stereo repair

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
So I am trying to fix the radio in my car. It turns on and looks fine but no sound comes out. I have figured out that it is something with the amplifier in it because if I connect the line out (bypasses amp) to an external amp the sound comes out fine.

I was wondering if anyone knows what parts of this are for the amplifier, and how hard they are to replace.

Here are some pictures of the main board for it:

pecO83u.jpg

devHsYT.jpg

1aCV0zH.jpg

CuinItB.jpg

RUWgmzN.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
would have been helpful if you had photo'ed the other side of those 2 big chips
seeing the backside isn't any help

one of them will be the stereo power amp the other mite be a stereo preamp make sure we can read the part numbers on the 2 chips

Dave

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
car stereo

There are metal plates on the back of the chips. I have to take that plate off and take a picture of the back of the chip, right?

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
First Chip

I de-soldered the smaller chip and it says "HA13164A" As far as I can tell from websites it is a voltage regulator of some sort. Would this have any effect on the amp?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
NO, the metal plate is the heatsink you've already removed. The metal plates shown in these images are integral parts of the chip.

You need to destroy the chip to remove these (and you don't want to do that).

Those metal bits are the back of the chip. Turn it around and you'll see the writing we need.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I de-soldered the smaller chip and it says "HA13164A" As far as I can tell from websites it is a voltage regulator of some sort. Would this have any effect on the amp?

Yep, sounds like a voltage regulator.

I recommend you stop desoldering things or you'll have the amplifier in a state that can't be tested.

Well, actually, you've already gone that far.

Now you need to reattach the chip to the heatsink, then reassemble everything, THEN resolder the chip back in.

You can't just resolder it in because it won't be aligned with the heatsink any more and things just are not going to work.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You're putting the cart before the horse.

You're thinking about replacing things without even knowing if they're faulty.