Connect with us

Car Stereo Remote Control

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by iMagoo, Jul 30, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. iMagoo

iMagoo

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi guys,

New member so take it easy on me! :eek:

Alright, so I'll give a bit of background. I want to create an interface for my car that works from the steering wheel radio control buttons (volume up, down, mute etc.) and communicates to an aftermarket car stereo through IR signals in order to enable the steering wheel controls.

For transmitting the IR signal, a basic PICAXE IC with infra-red LED should suffice.

However, the issue I am having is coming up with an idea to connect the steering wheel buttons to the PICAXE. The buttons work by having different resistances and the output is a single wire. I would have to grab my multimeter and splice this wire to determine the voltage range for each button.

Question is, how do I work these resistance (and therefore voltage) varied buttons into a circuit with a PICAXE IC?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Use an analogue input.

Use the variable resistance (switches) in series with another resistor to make a voltage divider. Then read off the voltage and use that to determine what switch is pressed.

You will need a regulated voltage an to allow a range for each switch, but there's nothing really difficult.

3. mechtronics

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
    you can buy Stalk adapter leads that cater for steering wheel controls use to after market radios.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I believe CDRIVE has already addressed this design (or one very similar in regards to a one line multiple value input) recently on the forums with a PICAXE solution, if not he has certainly addressed a similar design... I'm sure a little searching will pop the threads...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
Ask a Question