Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Car Reverse Camera - Noise / No Picture

ScyberMhaster

Jun 22, 2018
Good day!

I am in need of an opinion about my case. About 2-3 months ago, I installed an aftermarket Reverse Camera from Lazada. It comes with a built-in proximity sensors, LED lights, and a buzzer, not just a plain camera. I connected the AV cable to the headunit, the +12V / Ground from the reverse light, the trigger wire from the +12V of the reverse light also.

Now this is the first problem. If the engine if turned off, the picture coming from the camera is clear. However, if the engine is running, it shows noise / fuzzy lines. As a temporary remedy, I put five (5) ferrite cores, and somewhat managed to lessen the noise, but it's there, very annoying.

The second problem, is what I encountered lately. This is the scenario, I will turn on the engine and put the gear into the reverse position, and then the headunit automatically displays the image from the rear camera, but it only just shows noise, nothing more. It is just like an old TV with no channel working. But after I put the gear into the drive position, of course the headunit disables the camera, and tas I put it back into the reverse position, the camera is now working good, which means it is showing picture (with the typical noise on my first problem). And I did it again and again, if sometimes on the first reverse it did not shown any picture, I just disable it and put it back again into the reverse to make it work.

May I ask for an opinion to what is the culprit of my problem? Is this the effects of the noise which somewhat damaged the camera? Or could be a bent wire or the ferrite cores?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 6

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Definitely sounds like emi from ignition.
Hopefully the problem will go away when you get rid of the interference.
Good idea with the ferrite coils but perhaps they are too small?
I would try a LC filter with a larger choke.

The video composite cable is also likely picking up noise from nearby wiring.
I would solder all wire connections, cover with tape, then shrink tube.

The video cable might need to be rerouted away from other wiring to avoid interference. It would also help to cover the outside jacket with foil tape at least where accessible.

Try moving it around while monitoring it. Sometimes just moving the cable a few inches can make a huge difference.

ScyberMhaster

Jun 22, 2018
Actually sir, the all the cables are tied together on the same spot. Hehe. And I did not soldered the connection, although I covered it with electrical tape. I will fix the mess on my wiring, I hope that it will fix the problem. And by the way sir, is there a standard location for the Ferrite Cores to work efficiently?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Cables ran parallel are more likely to have noise introduced via capacitive coupling.
In other words, grouping sensitive video cables along with conductors that may have ignition noise should be avoided if possible.

Best place for filtering is as close as possible to the camera and monitor.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Wireless one might be an option.
Add-on available for existing units.

ScyberMhaster

Jun 22, 2018
Good day!

I managed to fix my reverse camera's total noise problem, however, I don't know yet the culprit, but I soldered the power wires directly to the left reverse light wires, and the trigger wire to the right reverse side. I added ferrite cores, one near the reverse camera, one after the soldered wires. And it makes clear pictures now. The only problem I encountered now is the dashcam, maybe because for its cheap price, around $18 tag.

Oostenrijker

Oct 9, 2022
Good day!

I managed to fix my reverse camera's total noise problem, however, I don't know yet the culprit, but I soldered the power wires directly to the left reverse light wires, and the trigger wire to the right reverse side. I added ferrite cores, one near the reverse camera, one after the soldered wires. And it makes clear pictures now. The only problem I encountered now is the dashcam, maybe because for its cheap price, around $18 tag.
I'm sorry to bump this topic after so many years: but I have similar issue and tried Ferrite Beads already, having one on both ends of the RCA cable.

But that didn't help anything at all: then I tried a DC to DC step down converter, because the voltage is higher when engine is running. This didn't help either.

Do you think placing a Ferrite Bead on the cable from the reverse camera? So before it splits into a RCA connector and DC in? Would that help? Or is the main cause of the noise, the power connection?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
The problem is noise from the canbus communication on the camera supply.
This can be overcome with either a low pass filter or tapping into a clean 12v source that doesn't originate from a control module.

You can use the reverse lamp signal to switch a relay which can deliver that clean 12v source to your camera.