Connect with us

Car Radiator Fan?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Liam-6, Apr 8, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Liam-6

Liam-6

Apr 8, 2010
    Hi guys,

Basically my radiator fans on my car have stopped working and the origional wiring loom has been hacked into.

Now warmer weathers approaching, i really dont fancy my engine cooking itself.

Basically i was just wondering if anyone could help me design a circuit and list what i would need to make the circuit work?

I'm guessing 12v car battery (allready on car), cable, and a switch? (mounted inside the car)..

Would there be anything else needed such as fuse's etc?...

Many thanks

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You could have the fan operate (perhaps via a relay) from the ignition. Thus the fan will run whenever the car is operating.

You would (at a minimum) want to place a fuse in series with the fan in the lead between the battery and the relay (if used).

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Do you know if the fans themselves are defective?
    Do you have a Check Engine Light? If so, the best option is to restore the original wiring and replace a temperature sensor or relay that may be defective.
    If you want to do this then we'll need the car make & model (+ year) to find a wiring diagram to try to help you.
    If you want the "easy" way out then you'll need a fuse, a relay, a switch, and some wire to go.

4. Liam-6

Liam-6

Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks for the swift response guys...Much appreciated!

Basically i've got to the point where my radiator fans have stopped working as you know.

The car is a 1997 peugeot 306 GTI-6 with aircon.

For some reason i have a blue wire which is connected to one of the relays in the fan housing system which trails down to the bitron unit. Now the bitron unit appears to have been snipped into for god knows what reason but it appears that the wires have been connected in the past and may have come apart. I put the wire's together and unplugged the brown sensor of the thereostat housing which is a temprature sensor and i can hear a faint clicking when the wires are joined which is the relay i assume?.. But the fans dont come on. Its near on impossible to connect the wires back together as the wire which comes off the loom has been snipped out with only around 2mm of cable left. Pain in the backside!

All i'm wanting to do is buy an uprated single fan unit and remove the origional fan's and have the new fan on a simple on/off switch

So basically,

12V battery - Fuse - Switch (on/off) - Fan.

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also if this helps:

[​IMG]

5. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, it's a real pain with hacked wiring.. Did you check F33 & 34? It should be easy to establish if the fan motors are bust or if it's something else (fuse/ relay/ control).
    Now, I don't mind modding Peugeot's but seeing how the A/C is interconnected with the fan controller I'm worried that you may stand to loose several & important (safety) functions and/or warning lights.
    The use of five fuses, three relays, two fans, a ten wire control unit, & a four-step A/C pressure switch makes for a rather complex control system.
    The changeover relay allows for running the fans in series. This mode is probably used when the A/C is operating. Some airflow must be on when A/C is on.
    The close-cut wire seems to be in a boot that can be remove for better access. I'd try to fix it, soldering if I'd have to. Do you have a DVM or a test lamp?

6. Liam-6

Liam-6

Apr 8, 2010
    No i dont have a DVM test lamp,

The air conditioning doesn't work.

The wiring peugeot have taken is confusing me a little. I just want to rip the fan units out and install 1 single fan which sources its power from the battery and operated via a switch in the car (manually) so i can control them myself. I will be making the wiring loom myself. I was just wondering what would be needed to do so. I'm not bothered about the origional wiring as it will just be taped off and left incase the next owner wished to repair the origional loom.

Thanks

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok, manual it is then, hope you have a working temp gage to go by..
    Fans draw a lot of current so a relay is in order. Hook both its contact and coil up to B+ via a fuse. Connect the other contact to the fan, and ground the other end of the fan. Draw a control wire from the other end of the coil in to the switch, and ground the other end of the switch. That's all.

Ask a Question