Connect with us

Car lighting circuit

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by henshin, Jun 18, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. henshin

henshin

Jun 18, 2011
    Hey guys I'm in some desperate need of help, I have my systems exam on wednesday and the context is a control system for car lighting and I have absolutely no clue about how it works and the what I've found on the internet is far too advanced and doesn't make much sense.
    From what I've gathered, for the interior light you can have 4 push to break switches attached to a bulb/led so when a door is opened a light comes on, correct?
    I'm confused about the other lights and what other lights there are, for the headlights would you use a relay and switch between a set of low and high beam bulbs? Any help would be deeply appreciated

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi there Henshin :)
    If you have push-to-break switches in each door, then when all the doors are closed none of the switches will be "made" but as soon as a door is opened its switch will be "made" or closed and a circuit will exist for the interior lights.
    As for the headlights some cars do use a switch on the dash which directly controls headlight current but the modern thing is doubtless to control a relay from a switch on the steering column.
    Most often cars change over between "dip" and "full beam".
    I'm pretty sure most modern vehicles do use a relay to switch between high and low. This requires a separate relay to switch on and off.

So much for my opinions.
    Here's a wikipedia reference that might be of more interest. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Headlamps
    Why not look through this. You are very welcome to ask further questions as they arise. If you feel that these answers are the ones you want to understand but are having trouble, please Skype chat with me using my Skype name "poor.mystic" for a quick series of responses, and/or post further questions on the board.

Ask a Question