Connect with us

Car interface

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by The sloth, Jul 29, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. The sloth

The sloth

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi fella's

I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'm looking to build a interface for my landrover defender to bring it into the 21st centry and also to be used as a valuable tool. It's going to be circuit building and programming and whilst I have some electronics experince and good at building PCB's via following instructions its something that I've never done before.

I'm planing on using a raspberry pi 512mb as the brains of it. Everything then been fed from separate circuit board. I'm not looking for multimedia or Internet browsing in the car, I have my ipad for that which plays via a parrots hands free and also I have my ipad and tomtom for other needs. What I want is to use the pi to give me real time data of my car. I thought the best way is to layout what I want it to be able to display. Ill be using a 7 inch touch screen in the car.

Basically oil temp, pressure, water temp, turbo boost & exhuast temp
    Doors open & closed
    Auxiliary lights on or off
    Center diff lock & rear diff lock
    Internal & external temperature as well as battery status
    My cameras, one forward facing, one reverse & one for tow hitch connecting.

That's pretty much everything however where do you start and what sort of inputs do I need to create for a raspberry pi. I'm more than capable building the simply circuits that turn a switch electively on & off. I already can have those circuits light up a simple led its just the others I am not sure how to build or start,

Regards

Tom

2. discomark10

discomark10

Sep 18, 2013
    I think your biggest issue would be writing the software to translate the inputs into a useful display.
    There's also devices you can use to expand the IO ports on the PI.

Ask a Question