Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Car Electrics - Reversing Camera

shakey1961

Apr 15, 2017
Hi. I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but I'll give it a try. What I've written below is what I posted on a Honda Civic Forum. It's really doing my head in. Anythig useful would be appreciated.

I have a 62 plate (9th Gen) Honda Civic with Sat-Nav as standard and I'm replacing it with a Kenwood unit.

I can't get the reversing camera to work.

I've managed to get a socket from RS Components to make the wiring easier, BUT..... I can't make the damn thing work.

I've wired it up as so... (original plug wire colours in brackets)

1 - Vcc + (White)
2 - Vcc Ground (-) (Green)
4 - Video Ground (Red)
5 - Video Signal (Blue)

I apply 7.9v from the new Kenwood unit, but checking this when it's all connected the voltage drops to 3.3v.

On pin 7 there is a red and silver wire called Camera ADPT from some wiring diagrams I've seen. It's described as "Control Signal for Rearview Camera". Do I need to ground this or apply 12v to it?

Any ideas?

Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Post the schematic and/or links to the technical documentation.

shakey1961

Apr 15, 2017
That's the problem - I don't have the official Honda wiring diagram and I've looked everywhere for it.

The best I can find is camera Wiring diagram which is for a different Honda Model, but from all I've seen different Honda Models appear to be wired the same, but have different colours for the wires.

camera wiring diagram.jpg

The plug in the back of my OEM sat-nav unit... Pin 1 is white, Pin 2 is green, Pin 3 empty, Pin 4 Red, Pin 5 Blue,
Pin 6 Grey and Pin 7 Red with Silver
DSC_0837.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What about the connections to the camera? Wiring diagram?

Either way, you will need power TO the camera and video FROM the camera. The 'control' signal will be either a 'high' or a 'low' to tell the car system that the camera is on. What it actually does is anyones guess!

I apply 7.9v from the new Kenwood unit, but checking this when it's all connected the voltage drops to 3.3v.
What is this 7.9V ??? Does your camera run from 7.9V??? I was under the impression they were all 12V?