Connect with us

Car cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Darren_91887, Feb 16, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Darren_91887

Darren_91887

Feb 16, 2015
    Hi folks,
    Darren, a total electronics beginner from Australia here.

I need to repair the cigarette lighter in wife's car but am not sure where to start.

It previously would cut in and out, and it would blow the replaced fuse every few days.

So I removed the component which has since had the blue/white wire cut.

I can't figure out how to open the grey plastic unit (not sure of its name) to remove that wire.

Here are some photos. Any pointers? I have a soldering iron and a multimeter though I am garbage at soldering.

Thanks!
    Darren

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    You won't get that apart, it is a moulded plug, not meant for repair.
    Best to go to a wrecking yard and pick up another from the same model vehicle.(or buy a new part)
    Don't know why you cut into there in the first place as the lighter disconnects from the black wire (spade terminal) and the bullet connector you have cut away(not shown in your photos)
    Fuse will have to be at least 10A for the lighter (just in case you replaced with something smaller previously)
    If you suspected the grey plug as faulty, you will probably need the matching socket also.

davenn likes this.
  3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I second Bluejets advice. The cigarette lighter draws a lot of amperage and heat. Being a newbie, you don't want to accidently start a fire.
    Replace the cable assembly.

4. Darren_91887

Darren_91887

Feb 16, 2015
    Not sure how the wires were cut, I suspect the missus did so for some reason.
    I'll a find a new unit,
    Cheers for the advice
    d

5. Paul C

Paul C

May 4, 2014
    You have a Honda right? Looks like a Honda plug.

The terminals will come out of that plug, you have already managed to unclip the locking tab apparent in pic 2, this locks the clips in place that hold the terminals in.

It's tricky if you don't know what you are doing but if you look down the end of the plug at the metal terminals, using a small flat blade screwdriver & I mean small you can lift up the retaining plastic tab whilst pulling the corresponding wire out, it should slide out the back if the tab has been lifted correctly.

Hope this helps.

6. sktan

sktan

Feb 27, 2015
    It looks line is disconnected, you just need to reconnect them. nothing complicated.

Ask a Question