Connect with us

Car battery and amps

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Nonespecter, Apr 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Nonespecter

Nonespecter

Apr 14, 2013
    Hey :)
    I am trying to connect a car amp directly to a car battery.
    I read online that it is possible to connect the remote wire cable directly to the + pole og the car battery.
    I have done so, but the alarm LED blinks red, indicating that this may not be the greatest idea.
    I therefore concluded that the current i way to big for the remote wire terminal on my amp.

My question is how do I connect a Remote wire to a Car battery (60A)? I have tested and the remote wire terminal on the amp can handle 5,8 A.

2. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Every load in normal state (not shorted) will only draw the amount of current that needs to operate. So if your cable can handle 5-6 amps (which i am sure it can handle alot more) and your amplifier requires like 3-4 then you are just fine. What i am saying here is that it doesnt matter even if your car battery is a 200Ah. Now why you are getting an alarm is a different story.

(When you say the alarm led do you mean the car alarm or an alarm light on the amplifier?)

3. Nonespecter

Nonespecter

Apr 14, 2013
    Okay.

There are no car involved just to clarify.
    It is a alarm light on the amplifier.

Before i tested with the car battery i used a AC/DC adapter (output 12V 5,8A) simply because i didn't want to drag the car battery inside.

When i use the adapter it works fine. although the alarm light lights up for 4-5 sec beginning.
    When i use the car battery (connecting the exact same way) the alarm light lights up and continues to do so.

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    the only thing I can think is that when you hooked it up to the transformer a wire came loose or you shorted the transformer.
    the way you describe is a version that should not hinder the operation of the device. I would however put a simple fuse in the way to be safe but having said that its not necessary.
    the make of the amp might help someone find out more detail and probably an online instruction manual which might give us more opportunity to help you further.

5. ads

ads

Mar 4, 2013
    Is the alarm led an indication of low power.

6. Nonespecter

Nonespecter

Apr 14, 2013
    You sir, are a god.
    And i am a retard xD

used the wrong battery

7. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Yes i was just about to ask you the same question.

Most probably the battery has been depleeted. You need to charge it in order to use it or just use your wall transformer.

Ask a Question