Connect with us

Cappacitors and electro-magnets

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by powers, Mar 10, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. powers

powers

Mar 10, 2011
    I am working on a project and need some advice. I'm not very knowledgeable with electronics but I'm working on it. So here are a couple questions for you knowledgeable people out there.
    1) can a cappacitor be ruined by overcharging it?
    2) If I were to build a High Voltage electro-magnet, can it handle long term high voltage or must it only be for a second? in otherwords will it burn through coating and short out?
    3) What is the best way to make 1000 volts DC?Can it be done starting with 12 volts.
    4) where can I purchase a large roll of #30 coated wire? say 10 pounds.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Powers, welcome

Capacitors have a voltage rating written on them, that rating shouldnt be exceeded or it probably will go bang

how hi a voltage ? if designed correctly, it will handle extended periods on power on

it could be started with 12V DC or AC with 12VDC you will need a voltage multiplier. With 12VAC you will need a transformer and then rectify the voltage back to DC

1000V DC or AC is very dangerous. Be careful that you dont prove the Darwin Theory of Evolution correct !!
    Search google for Darwin Awards, if you dont understand ;)

you havent said what country you are in, so I cant answer that specifically maybe a hobby electronics shop or an electrical cables dealer

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Capacitors can also be damaged by charging and discharging at high currents (even if their voltage rating is not exceeded).

Generally speaking this is caused by heating due to internal resistance in the capacitor, so relatively few brief high current pulses may be less damaging that continuous lower ripple current at (say) 60 Hz.

4. powers

powers

Mar 10, 2011
    I live in Michigan, USA. These electromagnets I am going to wind with #30 coated wire or i'll send them out. they will need to handle 1000 volts DC for just a second.
    Is it possible to convert 12DC to 1000 Volts DC without using an inverter?
    By the way I am working on a fuelless engine that runs off Electro-magnets. I think I have most everything I need to start but the electronics are stumping me big time. If I could post a pic on here someone may be able to understand what I am trying to accomplish.

Ask a Question