Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitors

charles chai

Nov 6, 2015
Guys thanks very much, I just don't understand capacitors at all. Can I get a shock by touching the body of the capacitor? Some of them say 16, 25 and 50v, what exactly does that mean? I'm starting a project soon and it requires capacitors, that's why I ask, I'm alittle worried lol

You will not get a shock if you just touch the surface of body, even it is in a working board because the surface is covered by the isolated material. But remember don't touch the pins of it, the charge and discharge the capacitor via both two polarity (+ long leg, - short leg).

Their bodys printed with 16, 25, 50V and other number,is their maximum working voltage, it can not be used in a place that exeeds their working voltage, it may be damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Guys
Might be a silly question, I know that it's possible to get a shock from a capacitor, how bad can they get?

That depends on the voltage to which they are energized, and the value of their capacitance.

Is there a way of removing them from a breadboard when testing without getting a shock?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Yes, you can de-energize them by shorting the two leads together, or connecting a low value resistor between the leads.

Guys thanks very much, I just don't understand capacitors at all. Can I get a shock by touching the body of the capacitor? Some of them say 16, 25 and 50v, what exactly does that mean? I'm starting a project soon and it requires capacitors, that's why I ask, I'm alittle worried lol

A capacitor is an electrical energy storage device which stores energy in an electrostatic field. Anytime there is an accumulation or depletion of charge at a point, an electrostatic energy field exists, and a voltage is defined. You do not want to be in the conduction path of the charge when it is moving. A good physics book will make the way a capacitor works more clear to you. There is plenty of information on this subject.

Ratch