Connect with us

capacitors

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by sugnip, Dec 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sugnip

sugnip

Dec 2, 2012
    how would you carry out a suitable test to determine the relationship between voltage and current when charging and discharging a capacitor

2. Username99

Username99

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm completely open to correction here, but if you measured the voltage while charging the capacitor, take readings at lets say, 5 second time intervals (Using a stopwatch) and then done the same procedure only discharging this time, then draw two graphs and look at the curve. Again I could be completely wrong and there are plenty of people on this website with far more knowledge regarding electronics than me, but I had a go shur :D

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    For this test to be meaningful, the capacitor needs to have a resistance in series with it.

I would measure the voltage across the series resistor (effectively measuring current) and the voltage across the capacitor, and plot both these values against time.

Ask a Question