Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Woo-Woo Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

powers

Mar 10, 2011
What is the difference between capacitors such as electrolytic, tantalum and ceramic?
What would an example of each be used for?

powers

Mar 10, 2011
High Voltage circuit questions

I Am planning on a high voltage circuit for a perpetual motion, electro-magnet engine and I have a couple questions.
1) If im using diodes to change 110volts to 1200 volts then why do I need capacitors in the circuit?
2) also If i have 1200 volts running through my electromagnet and I install a capacitor to collect the back EMF then where should i install this?
3) Im not sure how much back EMF will go back into the capacitor but shouldnt I install a resistor between the incoming 1200 volts and the capasitor?
If I could send you a picture I would but not sure how to do it. Yhanks In advance.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
On this board we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

Different capacitors have different properties, such as ranges of capacitance or voltage ratings, absence of polarity, stability, tolerance, temperature ratings, ESR, self inductance, leakage, failure modes, etc., etc.

Questions 1, 2, and 3 show a lack of understanding of fundamental electronics or you're explaining yourself very poorly.

Frankly it doesn't matter, because if by "perpetual motion" you mean what is generally accepted as its meaning then it's not going to work.

1) diodes don't change voltage
2) volts do not flow through things
3) may be a reference to the inductive kick from an inductor when current is interrupted. If so a resistor is unlikely to be what you need, especially when you are trying for more than 100% efficiency.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Like *steve* pointed out, your question is overly broad, and lacking enough detail. This sounds like a theory stage right now.
Basic info on you orginal question is:
Tantalums are going to be too low voltage for your application.
Ceramics are generally for tight voltage/frequency applications.
This SOUNDS like you're going to run into a need for large electrolytics, to deal with the back (counter) EMF of the circuit you're visualizing.
I THINKING you're expecting inductive circuit EFFECTS of an electromagnet circuit, but I'm not sure.
It's possible, your circuit MIGHT be able to use ceramics, if the electromagnet is only going to be producing EMF in one direction, but that's only speculation with the information you've provided.
I think, you need to give this concept a little more thought, and give a little more detail about what you're trying to accomplish in practical terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.