Connect with us

Capacitor Voltage Divider

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Yoa01, Aug 8, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi all,

Just a quick question for you: is it at all possible to use a capacitor voltage divider with DC voltages? I know, somewhat stupid question given that caps tend to remove DC offset and thus the output would always be pretty much 0V, but I am wondering if there is some kind of known circuitry that allows DC voltages to be divided by such a capacitor.

For those wondering why I want to do this, or why I can't use a simple resistor voltage divider: I want to build a theremin controller for an analogue synth. Theremins work by using your body and the metal rod as a capacitor.

The best I've got is I could run a signal, like a sine wave, to the first cap in a series of two, use the divider as an attenuator, then use a setup of diodes and regulators on the output (between the caps) to end up with positive and negative (or just positive, I can invert the signal) DC outputs. I have no idea if that would even work, let alone how well it would work.

What I really want is the ability to use a theremin-like setup as a way to control an output capable of voltage sweeps from +5V to -5V. Any advice is appreciated.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    No

OK, strictly the answer is "yes", but it won't work.

Build so much of a theremin that is necessary to provide the functionality you desire.

3. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    I've yet to find any theremin designs that utilise a vco fed by a voltage created using the antenna, sadly. Maybe I could make a simple theremin and use a kind of audio-to-voltage converter...

Ask a Question