Maker Pro
Maker Pro

capacitor status

capacitor

Mar 2, 2013
hi im new to the forum and im 11. today we tried fixing a broken microwave we couldn't find the problem so i got to pull it apart and i found some interesting components i found a massive transformer at a slow pace it can give you a mild electric shock as it did to me,a microwave generator 2 AC motors one that also works as a very sensitive generator and if you spin it and touch the terminals even , and a few sensor switches and big diodes but the most interesting was a huge 2100 volt 1.1 uf capacitor i tried to charge it on all sorts of voltages from 3 to 30 volts but no reading do you have any suggestions. pic to see

Attachments

• IMG000005.jpg
    IMG000005.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 103

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I really hope you are doing all this under the supervision of some one that knows something about electronics !?

You are playing with some very dangerous items that if you are not careful will drastically shorten your days on planet earth

if you put 30V across that cap, you will charge it to 30V .... what were you expecting ?

hoping you are still alive to read this .......

cheers
Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm with davenn. One of the last things you want to play with is the circuitry in a microwave oven.
They're cheap these days, replace the oven.

CubeRider

Mar 15, 2013
Wow reading this post certainly woke me up, sounds like an accident waiting to happen, I agree that Microwaves are cheap and its easier and safer to just go and buy one, the potential benefits are not worth the risks if something goes wrong.

capacitor

Mar 2, 2013
generatr mistake

sorry i made a mistake with the order of the writing it was teAC motor that could give you a mild electric shock similar to that of an electric fence

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
hey capacitor.
the first thing you learn with electronics is safety safety safety.
playing with a 2100 volt cap at the age of 11 is the exact opposite.
your last statement is of conern too "that could give you a mild electric shock similar to that of an electric fence"
I am a little worried that what you are doing is not safe. start out smaller and safer. try finding 12volt items or under as these can be a lot safer than what you are playing with now.