Connect with us

Capacitor Replacement Question.

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Lord Garth, May 20, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    If there is a slot cut in it, it is a high voltage type. I'm wondering if
    looking at a MOV however as those are usually blue or orange.
  2. Macdonald

    Macdonald Guest

    Im attempting to fix a wall switch that I bought at Home Depot. It is one of
    those RC switches that has a main control that turns the lights off and on
    and then a remote switch that uses a couple of batteries to switch the light
    of and on via radio signal. Im attempting to fix it as it had a few parts
    blown on it. Ive tried replacing he parts that looked blown and tried
    testing others. Any way there is a capacitor on it that has the label on it
    E104M. It is not polarized and is one of those type that looks like a flat
    round lollypop with two sticks out of it. I know that this is a .1uF .


    Is this a ceramic Capacitor?

    I have other 104 -- .1uF Caps on hand that are not polarized. Can I use
    these instead of the lollypop (Ceramic??) type. You know they are little
    blobs of blue or orange paint. (not to be confused with Tantalums)

  3. Andrew Holme

    Andrew Holme Guest

    Yes, 104 = 0.1uF

    It sounds like a ceramic disc. You will find plenty of pictures of
    these on the web. Try looking on a component supplier's website.

    You can replace it with another type, but you must use one with an
    adequate voltage rating for the application. It may need to withstand
    mains voltage.
  4. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    The cut would be opposite the leads, on the top of the device.

    MOVs or Metal Oxide Varistor are a class of transient suppressors. There
    are also Transorbs, Gas Discharge Tubes and Silicon Avalanche Devices. If
    you've found this device across the hot and ground connections, it is likely
    a MOV. They also are thicker than a capacitor. In design, MOVs are very
    like a capacitor in that it consists of two plates. The MOV is designed to
    short above some threshold which is hard to predict. When it does its job,
    is usually destructive.
  5. tlbs

    tlbs Guest

    I agree with the above posters. It is most likely a 0.1 uF ceramic
    capacitor. Without knowing more about the actual circuit, you would be
    safe replacing it with one rated for 200V.
  6. Macdonald

    Macdonald Guest

    There is no slot cut in it. Its just a round "flying saucer" (where would it
    be if there was ??)

    I'm sorry. I dont know what you mean by a MOV. I dont know what that is?
    What is it ? Is that a type of Cap? I asumed that the number 104 surely
    looked like a .1uf capacitor description.

    When I mentioned blue or orange. These are the replacement Caps that I have
    on hand. Im certain these are caps.
    However the E104M is actually an orange color.

  7. Macdonald

    Macdonald Guest

    mm Yes voltage rating. I hadnt thought of that.
    I guess the E104M does not tell us what that rating is?
    (Im in by the way North America so house current is 120)

    I think I have a .1uF but its a big sucker by the time you get up to 250v
    Not like this one which is maybe 1/4 of an inch from side to side.(0)
    I guess I could try to measure the voltage at that point in the circuit and
    make a guess.
  8. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    It's a ceramic disk, as others have noted. THe little blue and/or orange
    blobs - are they rectangular at all? If they're marked 104, then they're
    still .1. These are also ceramic - they're called monolithic or multilayer,
    which is how they get so many picofarads into such a small package. They
    build up layers of ceramic and metal, ceramic, metal, and so on before
    they fire it, and then attach the leads and dip them.

    As long as the voltage is OK, they'll be fine.

  9. Macdonald

    Macdonald Guest

    Well the one's I have are
    On one side and
    On the other side.

    Describing it is tough. One might say in a blimp fashion. Very small. Maybe
    something like a piece of dry rice.

    The problem is that I don't suppose any of those numbers tell us what
    voltage it can take.

  10. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Well, at that size, they're certainly not rated for line voltage (120VAC).
    I've reread your original post, and it sounds like the original cap is
    in a snubber circuit which is across the line, which your little grain-of
    rice caps are surely not safe at.

    Is there any way to determine what part of the circuit the original is
    in? Although, at the size it sounds like you're talking about (like a dime?
    like a quarter?) it could be a 600V ceramic, and the little monolithics
    would never stand up to that.

    Can you get a picture, or post the model number of the original equipment,
    so we can look up some specs?

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day