Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor replacement question

bigeasy_uk

May 22, 2014
Hi All,

I'm hoping this is a nice simple question for you experts.

I've got a non-functioning nintendo m82 demo unit, I opened it up and noticed the power supply had a leaking capacitor. I spotted corrosion on the underside of the PCB opposite the cap.

The power supply is a power-one SPL-50-3200. I've ordered a pack of replacement caps of the same spec (1000uf 10v) but from the picture they seem a lot smaller than the originals. Will these be an ok replacement? Are they smaller due to being newer and more miniaturised (the originals are from the late 80's)?

Also should I replace the other caps while I'm at it? They don't show any signs of bulging and I can't see any other corrosion other than under the one cap, but the faulty cap I want to replace didn't show any signs viewing from above either, it was only once I'd desoldered it that I could see the leakage from the underside.

Thanks,

Dan

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to EP :)

Size is not important unless the replacement is too big to fit into the space ;)
caps have shrunk in size as the advances in manufacturing take place

uF value and voltage rating are important
you may or may not have noticed on the old caps that they should have had a temperature rating as well .... 85C or 105C
hopefully the ones you ordered are the 105C ones. 85C ones don't do well in hot confined spaces

Replace ALL caps that are bulging even if they are not leaking

cheers
Dave

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I would also replace all caps of the same brand as any that are bulging or leaking.

Make sure the replacements are rated for the same or lower ESR as the originals, and the same or higher ripple current, as well as temperature.

Stick with the good quality Japanese brands - Rubycon, Nichicon, UCC (United Chemi-Con), Panasonic.

bigeasy_uk

May 22, 2014
Thank you both for your replies.

I've ordered 105c rated ones, same spec as the old ones. They should arrive today, so I'll let you know how I get on. I'm hoping it's just this power supply issue, it's quite a rare bit of kit!