Connect with us

Capacitor info

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gransport3800, Feb 10, 2013.

1. gransport3800

gransport3800

Feb 10, 2013
    I have some 4' fluorescent lights in my garage that have one light that doesn't work. I've installed new light bulbs in them, but still only one bulb works. I took them apart to check the ballasts for faulty parts. Each bulb runs off its own ballast on each end of the fixture. I noticed the the capacitor had some cracking on the coating of it. After using a multimeter to test it, I determined that the capacitor was bad. I've been trying to find replacements, but I'm having a hard time. I went to my local Radio Shack and found nothing. I've looked around on the internet and found some, but I'm not quite sure what I need as far as fared requirements. On the capacitor it has numbers that read 535J 250V, it is a reddish-brown and kind of looks like a piece of taffy with 2 electrodes coming out of the bottom. It is a 120 volt fixture that uses 40 watt T12 bulbs. Where can I find what I need and what fared do I need?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. EinarA

EinarA

Feb 11, 2013
    535J would normally translate to 5.3 microfarads. This seems very large compared to what I have seen elsewhere. Either my experience isn't valid here or the numbers means something else. Posting a picture of the capacitor would be a big help.

3. gransport3800

gransport3800

Feb 10, 2013
    Also molded into the plastic part of the ballast there are numbers that read 600W/600V.

4. EinarA

EinarA

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank you for the picture. Not sure how big it is thou. I had decided you must have a 240V lamp but appearantly not. Is this a newer ' electronic ballast', because I was thinking of an older passive ballast that uses a large inductor and a small cap (5nF) for RFI supression? It could still be 5.3 uF but it is odd that it is a film type. I am not familiar with what you have so can't offer very good advice.

5. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    5.3uf capacitors are very common in ballast. 250volt is the minimum but I looked around and saw some rated for 450volts. This should be just fine. Film capacitors are fairly precision and inexpensive so I assume that is why they are used. Ceramic capacitors change value with voltage and temperature so I believe that is why they are not used. Many ballast are simply an inductor and a capacitor in series with the tube in parallel with the capacitor. This is a resonant circuit for your line frequency. So the capacitor must be close to the right value.

I suggest looking for a 5.3uf film capacitor with a minimum of 250 volts or simply replacing the whole ballast circuit and being done with it.

Ask a Question