Connect with us

capacitor help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ldrewes, Jun 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ldrewes


    Jun 1, 2013
    Im fairly new to the electronics world and have a question on capacitors. I have searched the internet and have not found an answer. I have a parts list calling for specific voltages on capacitors. I know a lot of caps have the voltage printed on them but what about the ones that dont? For instance, i have a .22uf cap with a printed code "2A224J" does something in that code tell me the caps rated voltage?
    I greatly appreciate any help! Thank You!
  2. davenn

    davenn Moderator

    Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

    without seeing your parts list ... it would be normal for a voltage rating to be given that is approximately twice that of the maximum voltage the capacitor is likely to encounter in the circuit ....
    specially when referring to electrolytic capacitors
    green cap and disc ceramic capacitors will usually have voltage ratings starting at 50V and go up from there

    show us your parts list and or the whole circuit so we can see how it is powered

  3. KrisBlueNZ

    KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

    Nov 28, 2011
    I don't think there is a standard, even a de facto one, for marking capacitor voltage ratings (apart from simply stating it; for example, "100V").

    I don't know what the 2A in the marking means. It probably IS the voltage. If you knew the manufacturer, you might possibly be able to find what 2A means.

    The other markings you gave are the capacitance (224 means 2, 2, and four zeros, with the number being in pF, so 220,000 pF or 220 nF or 0.22 uF) and the tolerance (J means 5%, K means 10% and M means 20%).

    Some manufacturers of small surface-mounted electrolytic capacitors use letters to indicate rated voltage but I don't know if different manufacturers use compatible schemes.
  4. shrtrnd


    Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah. It's important to give the manufacturer's name (if you can find it, or see a
    company logo on the part).
    Some cap manufacturer's use characters to denote a size of their particular brand.
    The '2A' MIGHT mean the size/composition of that manufacturer's product line.
    daveen and KrisBlueNZ gave you the information you need to try to find an equivalent
    for what you have. My idea is just another helpful hint in trying to find a replacement.
    There's usually a little picture/logo of the company that made the cap on it somewhere.
    Once you have that, it's a lot easier to go to that company's homepage, and find the
    particular family/product line of your cap, and get more precise information about it.
    Good luck. If you have more specific questions, someone here will help you.
    It helps us when you tell us as much as you can about the device itself, or a picture
    is better.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day