Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor Explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMC Digital

Dec 1, 2016
Hello guys, I was wondering how large is a 4700uf 50v capacitor explosion. Can this little thing make holes through wood or are they generally small explosions?

If it explodes near me, will it be able to kill me?

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
Hello guys, I was wondering how large is a 4700uf 50v capacitor explosion. Can this little thing make holes through wood or are they generally small explosions?
They can make a pretty impressive bang, but I doubt they're powerful enough to do structural damage.

I doubt it. But you'll probably need to change your underwear afterward...

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Wear at least safety goggles, long trousers and a long shirt and possibly gloves if you're going to perform this experiment. A little protection for your nose and mouth to prevent inhaling the fumes may also come in handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

FMC Digital

Dec 1, 2016
Well, that answers my question. Thanks
They can make a pretty impressive b

Well that answers my question, thank you :)

I doubt it. But you'll probably need to change your underwear afterward...

--

Wear at least safety goggles, long trousers and a long shirt and possibly gloves if you're going to perform this experiment. A little protection for your nose and mouth to prevent inhaling the fumes may also come in handy.

Aye, will do. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Do it when your wife isn't at home, or she will pull your ears (or something else) due to the debris and the fumes all around the place. Clean everything before she gets back, and blame the neighborg for the bad smell. It has worked for me.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Might I suggest wings taped onto the case and a launching platform for added enjoyment. All outdoors please.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm seriously considering deleting this thread as the information there-in could be used by nasty people to cause severe injury
to many other people

@FMC Digital

give me an extremely good reason as to why I shouldn't delete it
Why do you want to know such things ? what are your intentions ?

Dave

FMC Digital

Dec 1, 2016
I'm seriously considering deleting this thread as the information there-in could be used by nasty people to cause severe injury
to many other people

@FMC Digital

give me an extremely good reason as to why I shouldn't delete it
Why do you want to know such things ? what are your intentions ?

Dave

I'm sorry, do I need to close threads if they have been answered? May I know how please. I've been trying to close this thread.

I'm experimenting with low voltage coilguns. I was just wondering how dangerous if the capacitors would explode on me.

Personally i wouldn't think this post have information that can lead to other people's injuries, but if you think so, please do delete this thread :) thanks

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm sorry, do I need to close threads if they have been answered? May I know how please. I've been trying to close this thread.

mods close threads only if there is a really good reason ( dangerous etc) .... if it is just a 'has been answered" it wont get closed

I'm experimenting with low voltage coilguns. I was just wondering how dangerous if the capacitors would explode on me.

OK ... please be VERY careful and DONT experiment indoors

Personally i wouldn't think this post have information that can lead to other people's injuries,

putting excessive voltage on a capacitor WILL cause it to go bang .... I learnt this by mistake when I was a youngin' and put 240V AC on a 50V rated cap
scared the hell out of myself and had my parents come running to see what the huge bang was and if I was OK

a big enough cap and a triggered hi voltage and you have a terrorist weapon .... simple as that ... that's why I asked the Q's

Dave

FMC Digital

Dec 1, 2016
mods close threads only if there is a really good reason ( dangerous etc) .... if it is just a 'has been answered" it wont get closed

OK ... please be VERY careful and DONT experiment indoors

putting excessive voltage on a capacitor WILL cause it to go bang .... I learnt this by mistake when I was a youngin' and put 240V AC on a 50V rated cap
scared the hell out of myself and had my parents come running to see what the huge bang was and if I was OK

a big enough cap and a triggered hi voltage and you have a terrorist weapon .... simple as that ... that's why I asked the Q's

Dave

Okay, gonna be very careful. Also thanks for your concerns :)

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I guess I come from an age where we didn't have to worry about giving bad guys ideas. My bad.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I would not worry about using capacitors as a terrorist weapon. Watch some YouTube videos. They pop with less power than a 1/4 in firecracker. I'm not saying that they could not hurt someone, or you should not be careful, but this is not at the level of a real explosive.

Bob

FMC Digital

Dec 1, 2016
I would not worry about using capacitors as a terrorist weapon. Watch some YouTube videos. They pop with less power than a 1/4 in firecracker. I'm not saying that they could not hurt someone, or you should not be careful, but this is not at the level of a real explosive.

Bob

Yeah i saw couple of the videos on YouTube but I can understand why @davenn is concern about using capacitors as a weapon.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
They pop with less power than a 1/4 in firecracker

maybe a small one, you are not seeing the big pic

that one I blew up went with a hell of a bang and all its guts went everywhere

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
How big a capacitor?

.... I learnt this by mistake when I was a youngin' and put 240V AC on a 50V rated cap

from memory it was around 10 uF

scale it up and consider the dangers

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hmm. I blew up a 10uF myself by connecting it to 120V AC and an LED without a path for the current int the opposite direction, and it barely went pop. I would call it "venting" rather than exploding.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
as I said, it destroyed itself and my parents came a running

OK time to close this thread
with a possible cleanup to come

Status
Not open for further replies.