Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor and Resistor Question

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
I have a set of resistors that i'm sure is supposed to be 1M ohm resistors. When I measure it using a digital multimeter. My multimeter has the following resistance measurement setting: 400, 4K, 40K, 4M, 400M. So I put my multimeter on the 4M setting as that seems the closest to 1M. When I measure it, the resistance seems to measure at 0.760. I understand it probably will never read exactly 1 or 0.999 but 0.760 seems quite a bit lower than the 1M. It starts reading at about .900 then starts going down. Below is a picture of the colour band of this resistor:

pxGLfQY.png

Second question: I have a pack of 4.7uF 35V capacitors that I purchased a while back. These capacitors are loose inside the pack so the terminals of the capictors are all touching each other. Just wondering does this not damage the capacitors? like if a battery was to short?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

How did you measure the resistor?
When holding the measuring pins on the resistor with your fingers, you will measure the resistor with your body resistance in parallel.
Lay down the resistor and press the measuring pins against the resistor leads without touching the pins with your fingers.

The capacitors will most likely not carry any voltage when in the bag.
There is no problem when leads of them contacting each other.

Bertus

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
Thank you @bertus that was exactly the problem. I didn't know that touching the probes effects the resistance reading. Learnt something new today :) Thank you. Now I am getting a reading of 1.010 which is more like it.

Last edited: