Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can't properly ID Fuse

Tekcap

Jun 4, 2015
Let me start by saying hello! This is my first post here on the forum. Before I get to my question I would like to let anyone who reads this, know that I work in a circuit board manaufacturing company in the engineering department, so if anyone ever has questions about circuit board manufacturing, ask away!

On to my question...

I have a Excalibur 4 tray dehydrator and the fuse has gone bad only 2 months after usage. Now for some reason that company is being ignorant and lazy with me, so I'm forced to find out what kind of fuse it is and order it myself.

I took the machine apart and so far I have found the following information :

G4A01 084C Microtemp series

When I search google for this fuse, I find multiple ones under the G4A01 series and so I don't know which would be the right replacement. Also wondering if it is even possible to only order 1 of these things.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi
Welcome to EP :)

G4A01 084C Microtemp series

its a 250V, 10A, 84 deg C thermal fuse

When I search google for this fuse, I find multiple ones under the G4A01 series and so I don't know which would be the right replacement. Also wondering if it is even possible to only order 1 of these things

that would depend on the supplier ... but probably wouldn't hurt to have a few spares
after all, you need to find out why the device got hot enough to blow the fuse, you are likely to pop a few more fuses on that discovery trail

Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think Canada has 110v.
So that same fuse would be 15A @ 110v. I could be wrong though.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I think Canada has 110v.

irrelevant

That fuse with those markings is rated as stated
the only caveat I would make is that 250V may be the max voltage rating

check out the datasheet ... there was a link to it I saw earlier today

Tekcap

Jun 4, 2015
Hi
Welcome to EP :)

its a 250V, 10A, 84 deg C thermal fuse

that would depend on the supplier ... but probably wouldn't hurt to have a few spares
after all, you need to find out why the device got hot enough to blow the fuse, you are likely to pop a few more fuses on that discovery trail

Dave

The problem with the fuse going seems to be a common problem. Plenty of people talking about their fuse going out, but no article or word from the company on why it happens (all their models).

How did you come up with the 10A? I was wondering how to calculate or find that information, but didn't have any luck.

Tekcap

Jun 4, 2015
It was the 250V specification that threw me off, but if you say it is probably just a max voltage then I suppose it would be safe to try it. I'll post a link to whatever I might order once I find something that looks reasonable.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
How did you come up with the 10A? I was wondering how to calculate or find that information, but didn't have any luck.

there were dozens of links in google including several to datasheets,
http://disti-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/testco-inc/files/datasheets/23222.pdf

I think Canada has 110v.

Martaine ... I have to apologise ..you were right, the first site I went to yesterday had no 120V ratings stated
the link above to a datasheet from another site does state your 120V 15A rating :)

G4 Series

Rated for continuous operating currents up to 10 amps @ 250VAC (15 amps @ 120VAC), the G4
series MICROTEMPR TCO is the industry standard for over-temperature protection. The G4 series is
applied to millions of appliances and personal care products each year, providing reliable back-up
protection for temperature controlling thermostats and other over-temperature conditions. The
G4 series is also widely applied in office machines, portable heaters and industrial equipment as a
thermal safeguard.

cheers
Dave