Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cannot get Breakout Module to work...

fatman57

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

Purchased an FT232RL off a well known auction site. I don't think its a fake as I have installed the driver and all seems fine, also the print looks laser etched to me. Thing is, I cannot get it to work.

Have made my own Arduino board following this implementation to the letter:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone

I am having problems getting the Arduino software to communicated with the Amtel (atmega 168 pu-20), the error message is:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

The one I have is a little different to the one in the instructions, and it has an extra set of pins at the top with a jumper across two of them. This is what I'm currently looking into as the issue, thing is I am still a beginner and not sure what these pins mean, please see an image below:

IMG_7498.png

Not a great picture, all the pins at the bottom are the same as one in the instructions, just don't know what the pins at the top are doing. Jumper is set as it came in the post. When I try and upload a sketch one of the LED's blinks 3 times and thats it - will have to try again to confirm which one. Am feeding from a 5v source - currently USB.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Much obliged!

Dan

Last edited:

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
unless you added circuitry to reset it just before flashing...

you need to hit reset if thats the problem

fatman57

May 27, 2013
unless you added circuitry to reset it just before flashing...

you need to hit reset if thats the problem

Hi, thanks. You mean reset of the Breakout board or the Atmega - if its the atmega I have reset it many times. There is a reset pin on the breakout board, I was wondering if I should hook it up. No idea how, but I should be able to find something somewhere...

Is the jumper correct though?