Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can you names the parts???

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
so I'm almost certainly they're capacitors. I know the brown one is but idk the rating because it's weird lol. The yellow one just looks funny shaped. Reminds me of the body of a chicken (with no neck or head) lol. Would the yellow one be a 68pf capacitor? I think the brown one is a 1uf 25v tant but the line above the 1 and then the point 1 or whatever is above the line makes it weird I've never seen that before. The point 1 on the top of the horizontal line almost look like the right half of an airplain with the wing. Or a backwards 1. The yellow one says 680 and then a k below that. I think it's 68 pf but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 60

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The first one is a dipped tantalum electrolytic capacitor. It should have a small + sign near one lead. What are the other markings?

The second could be 0.68 uF, non-electrolytic, maybe stacked ceramic or stacked metal foil. Or, 68 pF +/-10%.

ak

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
The first one is a dipped tantalum electrolytic capacitor. It should have a small + sign near one lead. What are the other markings?

The second could be 0.68 uF, non-electrolytic, maybe stacked ceramic or stacked metal foil. Or, 68 pF +/-10%.

ak
The dipped tantalum has like a backwards number one with a period in front of it then a horizontal line under it and a number 1 under the horizontal line. Almost like a fraction. Just weird that the top number is like a backwards number one. Here's another pic to describe what's on it. I drew it cuz the tant is too small to get a good pic. And how do I know if the yellow one is a .68uf or a 68pf? Any way to figure that out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 48

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
Y
just a tantalum, not a electrolytic cant be both
yes you're right I didn't mean to say electrolytic. Are you able to tell me the specs of the tant from the pic I drew of it? And also if the yellow one is .68uf or 68pf? I thought it would be 68 pf based on the capacitor code being in pf. 68 with 0 zeroes after it would be 68pf but any caps I've seen that are pf just have the number on it such as a cap with just 10 on it is 10pf. So if it was 68 pf wouldn't it just say 68? Not 680?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
680 means 68 x 10^0 = 68 x 1 = 68.

Also, it's not strictly incorrect to refer to a capacitor as a tantalum electrolytic, but since all tantalum capacitors are electrolytic, calling them "tantalum capacitors" is sufficient and pretty much universal.

In general, where you know what the dielectric is, that is what you call the capacitor. So we have ceramic, paper, polyester, mica, vacuum and air capacitors (among many others)

But wait you say. How can tantalum be the dielectric when it is a conductive metal? Well, in the case of electrolytic capacitors, the name is given as the material on which the dielectric is formed (often an oxide).

Is it this simple? Of course not! The common electrolytic capacitor uses an aluminum anode with the dielectric formed from aluminium oxide. These are generally just called electrolytic, or aluminium electrolytic, and rarely just aluminium. A newer type of electrolytic is called a polymer capacitor. These are electrolytic capacitors with some unspecified anode material and a conductive polymer used as the electrolyte. Also, ceramic capacitors may be called multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCC), or even a funny code like X7R which refers to the characteristics of the ceramic used.

Sometimes the name given is based on the construction (e.g. feed through capacitors), or function (bypass capacitors). Both of these are typically ceramic, but you'd never know :)

So basically, there's a mix of history, convention, and exceptions here. Don't sweat on getting it right all the time.

Things get were with other components. In the early 60s, if you just said "transistor", it could be pretty much assumed you meant a PNP germanium transistor. These days, you would assume an NPN silicon transistor (although other materials like gallium arsenide and silicon carbide can be used). And even then, PNP or NPN implies a bipolar transistor, not junction field effect transistor (jfet), or an insulated gate field effect transistor, these days usually named after the meeting of insulation (mosfet) -- oh and we assume an enhancement rather than depletion mode device. Oh, and is the bjt epitaxyl, point contact, or one of the many other mostly historical methods of construction?

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Here is an image of a verified 0.1 uF film capacitor. 104 is the standard European code for the value. For reasons I've never known, the K stands for picofarads, so the translation is 100,000 pF. This is why my second guess for your second cap is 68 pF, although there is a possibility of 680 pF.

ak
sku_93344_1.jpg

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Yeah, I mentioned that in post #3. But going back to the 60's, I've seen a K on the end of some pretty low quality caps, usually small ceramics in RF circuits. Has the K=10% code been around that long?

ak

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
I
Here is an image of a verified 0.1 uF film capacitor. 104 is the standard European code for the value. For reasons I've never known, the K stands for picofarads, so the translation is 100,000 pF. This is why my second guess for your second cap is 68 pF, although there is a possibility of 680 pF.

ak
sku_93344_1.jpg
i was taught that the letter after the value stand for the tolerance. The numbers are always based on pf so they never say pf or uf on them. Other than some tants of electrolytics obviously. Am I wrong or better yet should I say was I taught wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 45

LectricCircuit

Apr 7, 2017
Ok just read down and seen u guys r already discussing about what I just replied lol. Steve beat me to it.