Connect with us

Can you identify this part?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by CKR, May 14, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    Hi, I have a Kids Trax ride on Corvette that is completely dead. After doing some troubleshooting I noticed that what looks like a surface mount diode that appears to have overheated. It was very crusty and after cleaning it could find no markings on it. When I jump it everything works. If I would like to identify it and replace it but I’m not sure what it’s function is. Any help would be appreciated.
    Here is a link to a picture of the faulty component;

[​IMG]

[MOD Edited ... added image inline]
    to the OP please don't use other platforms like twitter

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2020
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The picture doesn't tell us anything about the component. You will need a schematic of at least a working controller so one can read whats printed on the body of the diode :(
    Unprobable as it is: have you tried to find a schematic?

3. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Hello,

I have taken out the section where you showed the part:

resistor_question.png

As there are no markings visible, we can not say what the part should be.

Bertus

CKR likes this.
  4. PETERDECO

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
    It could be a surface mount fuse. I come across them frequently and just solder a pigtail fuse in its place.

5. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    I have tried to track down a schematic or even a picture of another board but can’t find anything. This board controls all the functions ( power to motors, various sounds, headlights). The inboard side of the faulty bit is split between two wire connectors( one red one blue If that matters) and the outboard side I think goes to a resistor(black with a silver band). At any rate it seems that everything the board controls has to go through that one part. Sorry that’s all the information I have.

6. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Lacking good further information:
    Measure the current drawn during normal operation and, if possible, when accelerating the motor from zero to max. (defect component short circuited.
    Replace the faulty component by a fuse with a current rating sufficiently but not too much above the measured max. current. This will give you at least some protection for the board in case of overcurrent.

Unless, of course, another member here comes up with a better idea.

7. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    It might have helped more if you had full pics of the front and rear of the board, well lit, 90' angle, and had traced a bit of the circuit to/from that point.

It's looking pretty (flux?) crusty and excess solder in the pic, have you already been soldering it or someone else prior to your receiving it? I might research whether this is a bad design, under-spec component and a common fault.

You wrote that everything goes through it, does this mean it's the power input from the battery?

If you jumpered around it and it works, how about measuring for DC voltage relative to ground. That might tell you which way to orient a diode if that's what it was, and what voltage it sees and (or if a fuse) measure current). Granted, you should try to determine if there is another fault condition that caused it to fail.

If it turns out to be a fuse for power from the battery, I might jumper it but then put an inline fuse in a pigtailed holder on the battery feed for easier replacement in the future.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    davenn and Harald Kapp like this.
  8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    more likely a diode cuz of it's black plastic case :)

9. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    ^ I couldn't tell from the pic if it was plastic or not, was thinking maybe 0 ohm resistor-as-cheap-fuse.

narkeleptk likes this.
  10. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    It does
    I bought this new (Christmas 2006)and never had it apart so that mess is from the factory. When I say everything runs through it what I mean is when the power switch is turned on the car is dead. If the power switch is turned on and I jump it everything works. I just checked it for voltage. The outboard side has 12v with the switch on or off. I will post some pics of the other side.

11. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    Here is the other side

Attached Files:

12. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    Here it is from the end

Attached Files:

13. narkeleptk

narkeleptk

Oct 3, 2019
    This was my thought as well. 0R jumper

14. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    Here are some pics of top and bottom

Attached Files:

15. CKR

CKR

May 14, 2020
    Well here’s what I did. I soldered in a jumper with a 5amp fuse. So far so good. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Ask a Question