Connect with us

Can You Find Funny Statement?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by CDRIVE, Feb 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    I watch quite a few machinist vids on youtube. This gentleman (Halligan) makes some of the better ones, along with Mr.Pete (Tublacain) and Keith Fenner who's one "Can do kind of guy"!

Anyway, this Halligan vid is about magnetizing and demagnetizing tools. There's nothing about this video that evokes the "Huh?" factor with the exception of a singular statement.

Enjoy..

Chris

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Magnetise "from the friction"?

Magnetic field "generated by these plates"?

"The part that generated the magnetic field (I forget the name for it at the moment)"

Chrome plating stops magnetising.

"All the electrons need to be going in the same direction"?

3. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Sorry Steve. No virtual beer for you. :D
    Those are all good except none of them have the "what?" factor like the statement I'm referring to. I ignored those because I don't expect casual electronics dabblers to know the structure of a shaded pole motor.

Btw, I'm not sure that I disagree with the first statement on your list. Friction causes heat so I'm not sure which causes the tool bits to magnetize but they do. ;)

Chris

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    well significant heating will destroy magnetism in a piece of metal.
    When the Currie point is reached for that material, the magnetic dipoles in the material loose their alignment

Dave

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Man 15 minutes is way too long for me to listen to him :)

I contemplated building my own demagnetizer for about 1 minute until I saw realized how plentiful old tape erasers are in 2nd hand shops and even on Ebay... $10 later I had a nice real to real tape blanker that demagnetizes tools in a jiffy...

6. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Yes but what exactly causes HSS tooling to magnetize from use? I hate it when it happens because the chips never clear themselves.

Chris

7. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Was it really that long? I thought it was about 5min. I'm going to check out those tape erasers though! ;)

Chris

8. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    CC who is the mfr of the model you bought? There are a boat load of Realistic (RS) hand held models on ebay.

Chris

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I picked up one of these vintage (kinda ugly) Realistic models, yes they generally sell for silly amounts on Ebay but keep your eye out when they actually open at $1 they end up selling cheap... Mind the shipping cost, you will see people jacking up shipping on these things for some reason...

With this there is no need to pass the tool through it, just place the tool on it, turn it on (makes a nice mechanical vibration and crackle/hum) and slowly pull the tool away... It's a permanent fixture on my electronics desk anytime I'm working on a project with speakers as my tools never cease to find their way to getting magnetized...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    CC, thanks for the info. Yeah, most of them are jacking the S&H to ~ $16.00.

Chris

11. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If you are in need just keep an eye open for a few weeks, I know it took me a week or so to get a 'deal' on one but it did happen... It appears most of the Ebay sellers are in that 'It's old, so it must be a collectible antique' mentality...

12. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    I've done without it this long so I'm in no rush. I didn't watch the video because of the topic. I just like watching non CNC machine shop vids and he's pretty good with those.

Chris

13. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Don't blame you on doing that, there are some amazing face palm tricks you come across and also some stuff that you would never think about doing until shown...

I wish I had more time to play with manual tools, but in today's world I believe my time is better spent on CNC... Not saying I don't play around with manual tools, I'm quite the hack with a manual mill and lathe :) I do enjoy doing stuff old school but the tooling and jigs to do 'quality' stuff that is dead simple on a CNC will bankrupt me if trying to do them on manual tools...

14. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    That's just one of the joys of retirement. I can now do things that please me without any thought to the time spent doing it.

Chris

Edit: Hey! No one has found the "Huh?" statement yet.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    OK, no one caught it so here it is. When he was pulling the tool out from between the poles of the motor he said "With the power on keep the tool in the center and slowly withdraw it until it's about 5 feet away"!

Chris

16. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    He said 6 feet at one point.

It is a bit extreme, but maybe he's used to degaussing monitors (where it is good advice to have the wand well away from the tube when you shut it off.

17. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Ha, I guess it's better to be safe.

Chris

18. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I heard the 5 foot thing, thought the guy was just being silly with a brain fart... I certainly hope as a machinist he can measure a little better :)

Ask a Question