Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can we charge a battery using a power supply?

FlorianB

Aug 13, 2015
Hi!

Is there any difference between the 2 following scenarios:

A: I charge a battery using a basic electronically controlled charger that will stop when it judges necessary.
B: I power the battery with a lab power supply to a voltage slightly above the battery voltage, and I stop once the current is getting close to zero.

And that leads us to a curiosity question: how does an electronically controlled charger work exactly?

Thank you!

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
Depends on what kind of battery. You cannot charge an NiMh battery the same way you charge a lead acid battery.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
B: I power the battery with a lab power supply to a voltage slightly above the battery voltage, and I stop once the current is getting close to zero

as ARDT said, batteries are different and as such all have different charging methods

so, with that in mind, did you have a particular type of battery in mind ?

Dave

FlorianB

Aug 13, 2015
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Acid battery (12V 7Ah).
What I'm wondering then is how do they measure the voltage... that means they have to stop charging for a while I guess?

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
Not sure how they do it, but I have done it with an Arduino. Using a voltage divider circuit to cut the voltage down to a safe voltage range for an analog input on the arduino and then calibrating with a bench top PSU to stop charging at about 14.8 vdc. Use a relay to open the circuit to the battery. Automotive relay works great for this. I can give more details if interested.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
What I'm wondering then is how do they measure the voltage... that means they have to stop charging for a while I guess?

Nope. You can measure the battery terminal voltage while it is being charged by connecting the battery terminals to a voltage monitor circuit. Also, if you put a small resistor in series with the battery, you can measure the voltage across the resistor and determine the charge current. Generally speaking, a battery charge circuit does not know what it is attached to. You program it, either digitally for some controllers or with resistors for analog controllers, to tell it at what voltage to shift from full power charging to float, and at what currents to hold at for charging or decrease to for float, or signal an alarm for a damaged cell.

Linear Technology, maxim, and Unitrode (now TI) make battery charger controllers. Their datasheets and app notes are full of information.

ak

BGB

Nov 30, 2014
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Acid battery (12V 7Ah).

as others have noted: no.

rather, you limit charging current to a certain amount (say, 1A). if the battery wants more than this, then the voltage to the battery drops. when the battery nears being fully charged, then the voltage rises to match the charger voltage, and current drops off. depending on the specific charger, it will then switch to a mode where it supplies a fixed voltage (say, 13.6 or 14v), and just sits there (the remainder of the charging happens gradually, with the current dropping to "pretty much nothing" when the battery is done charging).

the ideal charge current limit depends some on battery capacity and other things. it is typically around 0.3C (say, 2.1A for a 7Ah battery), and is sometimes stated on the battery.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013