Connect with us

Can SMPS interfere with 5.8GHz transmitter signal

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by shumifan50, Apr 18, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    Still battling with my 5.8GHz first person view for my quadcopter.
    I have now tried many antennas with no notable difference as it is only a desk test.
    I now seriously suspect that the Polulu step up/step down smps that I use is causing the interference as when I move my hand over the polulu, the interference changes visually on the receiver monitor.

Is it likely that a smps could cause such interference and should I shield the smps?

I will play with this some more by eliminating the smps and use a desktop power supply and will post results back here. But I was just wondering if anybody knew the answer or an explanation.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I wouldn't think that the SMPS would be causing interference up to 5.8GHz, but it could certainly generate noise that would interfere with the video signal.

Shielding is likely to be expensive in terms of weight. You might first try magnetically shielded inductors in the SMPS and low value bypass caps strategically placed to eliminate some of that noise (or even LC filtering). After that, a thin shield connected to your ground rail might assist further.

3. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    If these SMPS circuits are part of the camera supply system, there may very likely be ground noise problems. It depends on how you distribute 0V or GND in your chopter, and how good your decoupling are.

Ask a Question