Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can SAMSUNG laser printer toner errors be over-ridden? (Scan ONLY).

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Want to SCAN only without printing.
My colour laser printer, a SAMSUNG CLX-3170FN, CMYK M/F, has a higher flatbed-scanning resolution of 4800DPI in full colour,
as opposed to lower 600DPI colour-scan of (current) smaller mono laser SAMSUNG SCX-3405 M/F printer.
However, this CMYK printer is now standing idle, as it needs 2 new toner cartridges (Yellow and Cyan).
By now (a year or so), the Black & Magenta probably also dried out. (R4800>R7200).
I have priced new colour cartridges at about R1200-R1800 each. (!!!). (ZAR).
Printer (new) only cost me R4500.
When I try to print or scan, the display shows one of them is [empty] while other is [not recognized].
The printer refuses to print, even in mono (Black), and won’t scan either, until error is rectified.
My idea was to use only the Hi-Res scanner function, for electronics (PCB design, scanning IC screen-printing, etc).
As I seldom print in colour, (mostly B&W schematics/graphics/documents), the colour printing function can be disregarded for now.
The mono Laser model still scanned ok, even without the black cartridge!
Obviously doesn’t have the same [error] firmware built-in.
(While my black cartridge was on order, the supplier had my old toner as a sample).
I would like to somehow bypass/override the toner error so that scanner can still work to send scanned output images to my PC.
I'm thinking jumpers / relays (if) / or 'fooling' the printer into working regardless.
Or is this non-configurable firmware hard-wired on the ROM?
The toner-cartridges each have a type of "ID chip?" which connects via pins to printer bay.
Any printer-tech / savvy suggestions?
PS- As I don't see any categories specific to computer printers, please forgive me if posted in wrong 'parking space'. :)

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Scanning should be possible even when the print cartridges are empty.
Normally, a SCAN button on the Printer will, by default, print a copy, in which case, print cartridges are required.
If you are trying a SCAN from the computer, it should work. Unless Samsung is playing dirty :(

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As you want to scan only, you could buy so called 'toner reset chips' for this printer (use your favorite search engine). These chips will trick the printer into thinking the cartridges are o.k.