Connect with us

Can only set one byte at a time on EEPROM.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by DrenDran, Mar 17, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. DrenDran

DrenDran

Mar 17, 2017
    So I got a pair of GLS29EE010 EEPROMs and I've wired up all the pins and what not. I can actually set the data to a particular value, move the write pin to low then back to high and write a byte. When I move the output pin to low it displays that same byte. However as soon as I change the address bits/pins and try and write a second byte, the first one is erased and set to all 1s.

Any help here?

PDF here:
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/176/71061-5513.pdf

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This is a page write EEPROM. You need to put the data for 1 page into the internal page buffer, then write the buffer to the repective EEPROM page. See page 2 of the datasheet.

3. DrenDran

DrenDran

Mar 17, 2017
    I got to admit, I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of these diagrams.
    I'm reading the "WE# Controlled Page-Write Cycle Timing Diagram" and without enabling SDP it really does look like I just need to keep OE high, CE low, and pulse WE with each byte. How do I transfer the page buffer to the actual memory?
    Bear in mind I'm trying to do this with just moving jumper cables around, I don't actually have an EEPROM programmer or any kind of microcontroller.

4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello
    Which bits are you changing?
    Adam

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This method is bound to create multiple pulses on the signals you want to change due to contact bounce. With unpredictable consequences. You will need to debounce the signals (here's another link to that).

The write operation is described in text on page 2 and as a timing diagram in figure 6, page 12 of the datasheet.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Why have you chosen this device; any reason?
    Adam

7. DrenDran

DrenDran

Mar 17, 2017
    I do have a NE555 chip I could probably use for that.
    I know, that's why I wrote:
    in my reply above. The diagram really does just look like exactly what I'm doing. I must be reading it wrong.

I originally just wanted an EEPROM so I could program it to be a 4 bit binary to 7-segment (hexidecimal) display converter. Maybe it's not the best chip for this, but it's what I've got now.

8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    If you tell us your project maybe we can help.
    Adam

9. DrenDran

DrenDran

Mar 17, 2017
    I said in the post above.

Ask a Question