Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can one coil be a generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Why?
I think they can be the same if designed properly.

I think you will discover its easier therefore more efficient to rotate the coil or magnet
than to push it back and forwards.
Hence why all generators use the spin method :)

Dave

Dretron

Jun 9, 2012
I think you will discover its easier therefore more efficient to rotate the coil or magnet
than to push it back and forwards.
Hence why all generators use the spin method :)

Dave

Um indeed.
I just wanted to build something unique.
But since you all recommend the spin method, I'll try and do both in due time.

Need to start creating the blue prints!
Thanks.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why?
I think they can be the same if designed properly.
Because to push something back and forth, continual acceleration is needed, whereas to rotate something it is not, once it is up to speed. Unless you can completely recover the extra energy needed to accelerate the piston, you have lost energy that you would not lose in a rotating system.

Bob

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
When a piston is connected to a flywheel does that not provide for the continual exchange of linear momentum and angular momentum, minus energy lost to friction and work done by the piston such as generating electricity?

At the start of this thread the OP stated a desire for artistic uniqueness but later added a requirement for a minimum generated power level (100 W). The discussion then turned to the efficiency of rotating machines. This could become a real engineering problem balancing the uniqueness index vs efficiency vs power level vs cost. But if uniqueness is to be emphasized, with power generated only to the level of available funding (likely much less than 100 watts) then it becomes an artistic problem. I can think of some unique magnet/coil designs where it would be amazing that it also generates electricity (Look at that LED glow!). So does the OP want to be an artist or an engineer?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yes, a flywheel would recapture some of that energy.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Is there any chance that we can consolidate this discussion about you breaking fundamental laws of nature into a single thread?

Dretron

Jun 9, 2012
Is there any chance that we can consolidate this discussion about you breaking fundamental laws of nature into a single thread?

lol, but again. I'm not trying to break anything.
I'm curious, I'm not arguing that I CAN AND I WILL.
I want to learn.

About the threads, um.
I don't know what to say :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.