Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can integer variable store char value?

champ1

Jul 17, 2018
integer variable store integer value like 10, 100, -6

Can integer variable store char value? my program shows int type variable can be store char value.
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
void main ()
{
    int Code = 'A';

printf("Code %d \n", Code);
    printf("Code %c \n", Code);
}

if I write int Code = 'A'; in embedded program. Is it valid statement in embedded program.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
What result did you get when you ran it?
Seems as if you are doing the right experiment to test the idea.
Most languages use ASCII which means that a character is 8 bits long. It's a convention of representing characters as numbers, since in computers we really only have bits and numbers and have to decide how to interpret them as other things..
ASCII is not the only way, but the most common, along with extentions for such as non-English characters. e.g. abcdef. персонажи, 人物
(Your browser needs to also know how to draw each number as a character for it to come out right)

C is not a "strongly-typed" language, which basically means that if the data fits in a variable you can store it there.

Googling (c language character representation) I got this as my first hit
https://www.zentut.com/c-tutorial/c-character-type/

C Character Type

Summary: in this tutorial, you will learn what C character type is and how to declare, use and print character variables in C.

C uses char type to store characters and letters. However, the char type is integer type because underneath C stores integer numbers instead of characters.
There's more if you'd like to read further.
Just next on that page is a table of ASCII. It's the convention about which integer value means which character. If everyone uses the same standard, or a compatible standard, everything comes out right.
When I used to programme in C, I kept a copy or K&R handy. You might want to look for one, if for some reason google doesn't work for you. :)

Wollowstone

Mar 26, 2018
Since, in theory, a character code can be ANSI 7 bits, EBDIC, HTML, ... for PORTABILITY, it is strongly suggested to use a char when a char is supposed to be used, and an int for an int. But sure, a sequence of 64 bits ... is readable in many possible ways, among other, when using an Assembler like language. Some micro controllers even give you the possibility to read and write individual bits (and not just bytes). Adding even more possible meanings.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
if I write int Code = 'A'; in embedded program. Is it valid statement in embedded program.
Valid but not good practice. The side effects can be disastrous. Compare this to storing gasoline in a bottle for drinking water (something you should never do!): It can be done and it does no harm as long as it is treated as gasoline. But consider the fatality if someone takes the content of the bottle for water :(:eek:.
Always use the correct data types. This improves legibility of the program and allows static checking tools like e.g. lint (and similar, more modern tools) to better find errors in your code.
If you need to change the data type within your code, use explicit type casting.

Note that the char data type is often of 1 byte size, whereas an integer even on 8 bit embedded systems often is of 2 byte size. Using integers to store characters is then a waste of memory -- not something you want to do in an embedded system with usually very limited resources (which is not to imply that it would be good practice on a system with lots of available memory).
If you need to use characters outside the classic ASCII character set, consider using unicode. Look up the documentation and/or the respective header files of your development system (C compiler and libraries) to find out which options are supported.