Connect with us

can I use this Li-ion in place of this one?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by rebeltaz, Mar 6, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
    Ok, so I don't know too much about Li-ion batteries. I have a GPS with a dead battery. The Li-ion battery has three terminals - positive, negative and I assume temperature. I have a few Li-ion batteries from some Blackberry cell phones that are the same voltage and roughly the same current, maybe a little higher. These batteries have four terminals, though. I tracked down a schematic for a few Blackberry cell phones and it looks like the terminal as positive, negative, temperature and battery ID.

MI assume that the ID line is to identify the battery type to the device, but my question is is the battery ID line needed? Can I just connect the +, - and temp lines without problem?

Thanks...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You should be able to connect as you suggest the battery ID line should not be needed...

There is a risk with LI-ion batteries and charging so it might be best to put the device in a safe place for the initial charge and monitor it to make sure it charges properly...

FYI I have replaced several internal battery devices like this with legacy iPhone batteries and never had issues...

Ask a Question