Connect with us

Can I Reverse DC Plug polarity

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by dbarry722, Nov 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dbarry722

dbarry722

Nov 14, 2012
    Hi Folks..

I just bought a 5.2v 2.5A PSU for a piece of equipment that went on the blink. Connected it in but nothing happened so I though I had a dud PSU. I compared it with the original and lo and behold, I discovered that the original PSU is centre negative. The new one I have is centre positive.

Can I just cut the end of the new one and resolder it as centre negative? :confused:

Many thanks

p.s. Equipment still works. Tested it with another psu that is working :p

Declan

2. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    yes you can, very uncommon that you use the center as neg. surprised you didn't take out the diode that protects for reversed polairty.

3. dbarry722

dbarry722

Nov 14, 2012
    Found it strange myself given that a very well known electronics supplier quoted the new psu as a substitute replacement. They didn't even notice the plug polarity

Will cut and solder tomorrow and see how it goes.

Many thanks

Declan

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    If it's a molded cable/connector it's best to change the polarity at the source end inside the PSU if it can be opened. Look for screws hidden under rubber plug feet, etc.

5. dbarry722

dbarry722

Nov 14, 2012
    As it is, the unit is sealed so can't open it. I've cut the cable and used a terminal block to check that it all works okay. Once confirmed I'll solder the connections and use heatshrink sleeving to protect it all.

Many thanks to everyone for responses.

Declan

Ask a Question