Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I Replace this AC motor?

BPmax

Feb 1, 2011
This motor seemed to fail out of a 20 year old Dehumidifier.
I jumped everything and plugged it straight into the wall 110... it tried to spin and stopped...
Can't find this exact motor on line....
Wasn't sure how to measure the resistance.. I got a number of 33
Can I replace with a similar motor?

This motor:
115v 60hz I.oA 1450 RPM
Model No: IS-4420 SJU
Made by Sung Shin For Samsung

Attachments

• BKPL8178.jpg
    BKPL8178.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 578
  • BKPL8186.jpg
    BKPL8186.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 350
  • BKPL8187.jpg
    BKPL8187.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 351

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You should be able to replace it with one similar, try to get about the same RPMs, obviously the same size and shaft so the fan fits... Check Ebay or heck even check thrift stores in your area as it appears to be similar to many used in $10 box fans...

Or check a local surplus store, the one by me has 100s of misc motors he has pulled out of anything that he couldn't sell...

FYI is should be around that 1.0A rating as well, especially if it's run by a relay or switch or what not... If it's direct wired I wouldn't worry so much about the amp rating...

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Does the motor spin freely?
If the motor is stiff the thermal overload will trip.
After 20 years, the bearings may need attention.

When you have done yours, you can come and do mine!!

BPmax

Feb 1, 2011
Yes motor spin free. There was a screeching type noise prior to not working... (bad bearing?)

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Plain bearings in motors such as this do not normally screech, they usually bind and become stiff.
If there is a screech, perhaps the bearings have worn so that the rotor is touching the stator.
You have nothing to lose by dismantling and having a look.

PtrkLnk

Jan 20, 2012
I have a dehumidifier that is also about that age. It had the problem that if you left it turned off, the motor would not start up again with out a push.

I took the motor apart, and found that both bearings were packed full of sand. Once I cleaned it all up and put it back together it worked just fine.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
These motors are not designed to produce a SL of torque so free spinning bearings are a must. Most plain bearing motors usually get stuck because the bearing lube (light machine oil) eventually turns into sludge. For the most part they fail because people forget to oil them regularly. Do NOT use WD40! 3 in1 is OK though.

BTW, those "lubed for life" ball bearings, ... ain't your life, unless your life is very short. :D

If you can't get it to run then look here for a replacement.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ac-motors/=hm9euu
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

mjkirk12

Jun 5, 2012
Dehumidifier motor - another idea

I have a similar problem - bad motor on a Edison/Crosley (W.C. Wood, Ltd.) DHE25WG-1 dehumidifier.

On this unit the motor is IS-4420WCA (Sung Shin) - no parts are available. I think the maker (W.C. Wood, Ltd) is defunct.

My handyman (aka the "Red Green" ) solution:

Take a box fan (or oscillating fan) and blow into the dehumidifier.

Air flow should be from back to front - in my case: mesh air filter -> evaporating coil (moisture removal) -> condensing coil (heated air) -> old fan (removed) -> front grille of unit.

As long as sufficient airflow is maintained - it will work. You could even wire the external fan into the dehumidifier (uses same wires as old fan motor) so that it shuts off when the unit does.

Make sure the current (amp) rating of the fan is the same or lower than the bad motor.

It may look strange, but if it is located in a basement or crawlspace who cares?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

Mike

Last edited: