Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I replace a glass fuse with a ceramic fuse?

GeetarGal

Mar 5, 2014
Hi, I'm new to hobby electronics, and I'm replacing a popped fuse on my soldering station. I have included a picture of the bottom of the station (which says that it needs a T630mA 250V fuse), as well as the fuse itself (which is a glass fuse). I want to check my understanding of fuses with you guys.

This particular fuse is a "slow-blow" (T) fuse, and will blow after a small amount of time suffering under a current of greater than .63 amps, correct? It will tolerate up to 250 volts, correct?

Also, I'm looking up replacement fuses, and I see there are glass and ceramic fuses available. Considering this is for a soldering iron, should I get a ceramic fuse instead? Are they interchangeable? Would the ceramic fuse be safer?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Fuse.jpg
    Fuse.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Fuse Specs.jpg
    Fuse Specs.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 964

Jagtech

Feb 22, 2014
You can replace a glass fuse with ceramic, but not recommended to replace a ceramic with glass. Be sure they are the same voltage and amp rating, slo-blow, etc.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
1) Yes, the fuse should open after a small amount of time above .63A
2) Yes, the fuse will meet it's specs at 250V or less.
3) Your fuse holder is the international shock-safe type, so it's enclosed, and it's not
really any safer to use a ceramic over glass fuse for your application.
4) I've heard different reasons why ceramic fuses are sometimes used instead of glass fuses.
The most believeable to me, is that glass fuses break easily, and in applications where
the instrument might be in an explosive atmosphere, the ceramic would be less likely
to break, creating a spark. (But a fuse manufacturer could probably give you the best answer).
So like Jagtech said. I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't be able to replace a glass fuse
with a ceramic, but it would be unwise to replace a ceramic with a glass one. But
electrically, yes: the amp/volt rate of both types are identical.
5) If your fuse blows again, you'll need to open the soldering station, and look for the
fault causing the fuse to blow.

computerlen

Jan 22, 2012
A couple of things: The 'T' on a fuse means thermal or slo blo to me. New to electronic repairs? I have used a 'soft start'setup. I wired a 100 watt light bulb in series with an ac socket so that the bulb will glow fully if there is a short in any circuit under test. I will be happy to send a photo of the wiring diagram for this circuit to anyone who writes to me at [email protected].

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The ceramic fuses are more thermally stable and don't crack at high temperatures like glass versions can, and the ones we use are filled with sand to prevent the vaporised metal parts sticking to the inside of the fuse and carrying on being conductive for a short time after the fuse has ruptured. We tend to use the T version (Time delay) or slow blow type.
Adam