Connect with us

can I plug 'host-powered' pc speakers into the mains?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by _, Apr 17, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. _

    _ Guest


    I've had to replace an old computer psu, unfortunately the replacement did
    not come with the pass-through power connector that I plugged the speakers
    into. It's an IEC type (I think...!)

    Can I simply cut off the connector and add a standard mains plug instead or
    is that a huge no-no?

    I'm UK based, electrical supply 230-240 volts. The speakers specs are
    230v - 50hz.

  2. soundman

    soundman Guest

    Yes, you can. Make sure you use the right fuse (almost certainly a 5A).
    Colour: Brown - live, Blue - neutral, yellow/green - Earth. If the wire
    colours are different, come back and ask for information if you need to.
  3. David Harmon

    David Harmon Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:58:39 +0000 (UTC) in sci.electronics.basics, "_"
    You can do that. It would be easier to plug it to one of the many loose
    IEC to mains cords that are usually lying around spare.
  4. _

    _ Guest

    I've plugged the speaker connector into an IEC to mains cord (5A) and it
    works fine! I'll run with that for a while and if I need the cable I'll
    wire a plug on.

    Soundman and David - thanks for your help!
  5. soundman

    soundman Guest

    You are very welcome. It's nice to have an acknowledgement.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day