Connect with us

Can I create a 12vdc power supply from computer parts?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by engineeredgarden, Sep 30, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. engineeredgarden

engineeredgarden

Sep 30, 2010
    First of all, this is my first post and i'm relatively new to designing electronics circuits. I have a small 12vdc fan rated at 90 milliamps, and would like to build a small power supply to drive it from a scrap power supply unit that came out of a personal computer. I know that it can be done, but am struggling with how to do it. Can anyone help me? It's an EE Model MAV-250WP.

2. Mitchekj

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
    1. Take the old power supply out of the derelict PC. Make sure to keep the ON/OFF switch connected.
    2. Connect the fan to the +12V rail. (Look up ATX connection diagrams.)
    3. Energize!
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

If it needs some minumum load, as is the case with some PSUs, then you may need to add a load resistor(s).

3. engineeredgarden

engineeredgarden

Sep 30, 2010
    Ok, i'll look up atx connection diagrams. Thanks!

4. engineeredgarden

engineeredgarden

Sep 30, 2010
    Ok, I found some really good articles on how to do the conversion, and will attempt to do it this coming weekend. Thanks a bunch!

5. engineeredgarden

engineeredgarden

Sep 30, 2010
    Just wanted to report back and say that the links were very helpful, and I have a neat little power supply unit now. Thanks!

Ask a Question