Maker Pro
Maker Pro

can garage door remote run on 12 volt battery

plg

Jun 19, 2008
I don't know much about electronics so I hope someone can help.
I want to put my garage door opener on my motorcycle, under the gas tank and run a wire up to the handlebar control to a button. The romote will be in a spot that won't be easy to get to when the battery dies, so I would like to run it off the motorcycle battery. Can this be done?

steveycocktail

Sep 1, 2009
sure - you just need to transform the voltage down ... the button's probably only running on about 3v .. but you need to open it up and find out the batteries it requires..... that gives you the voltage ... then you just need a 12v to (?)v transformer circuit.

steve

amdNRA

Sep 3, 2009
Figure out the voltage as in the previous post and then use a suitable voltage regulator ie. LM78xx or the lower current 78Mxx, where 78=positive reg; xx is the output voltage that you need. Thus a LM7809=9 volt positive reg
See http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM7809.pdf
Later, Gil. :cool:

Roadkingtc88

Jun 20, 2019
I did this in mine. It was easy, since my Genie transmitter was already 12 volts now some of the older remote had a small 12 volt battery. I soldered the micro switch to be always pressed, removed the battery, then connected the bike high beam wire to one side of the battery connector, and ground to the other. Then, whenever I press the high beam switch, it sends 12 volts to the transmitter, which transmits, since the switch is soldered closed (Pressed). I encased it all in 2 plastic ziplocs, and has been working for years.