Connect with us

Can anyone tell me what this part , an ARRESTOR maybe?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by onpiopah, May 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. onpiopah

onpiopah

Jan 18, 2012
    Hi I am working on the power supply of a Plasma TV.
    Can you identify this part, the parts lists says it is an ARRESTOR but I can't find any information online about what they do or how they work.

Component A601 on the diagram above (RA362MSV7 )

many thanks

Attached Files:

2. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    It's a gas discharge lamp. It acts like a bipolar zener. Its electrode spacing and envelope gas determine the breakdown voltage at which it conducts.

Ken

3. onpiopah

onpiopah

Jan 18, 2012
    Hi, thanks for your reply, what would the purpose in this circuit be. Also i have been advised of the following but did not quite understand the explanation.

it is more like a spark gap where it will prevent any high voltage from killing the circuit. This means if there is any high voltage you could see a blue arc inside the component and the spark gap would not blow

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    This means if there is any high voltage you could see a blue arc inside the component and the spark gap would not blow

the last bit of that is badly worded

the idea is to protect against really hi voltages by discharging them to ground/circuit negative rail
    The problem with these is that the voltage where most components in the bit of gear the discharge tube is protecting is far below the discharge voltage. Those parts are still going to fail any way. ( that's for excessive voltages coming from external sources)
    That being said, you will often find them in high voltage circuits of TV's older and newer.

Dave

5. onpiopah

onpiopah

Jan 18, 2012
    That makes a lot more sense, and is really helpful.I was surprised I could not find much information on these components either online or in electronic books so thanks again.

Ian

Ask a Question