Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone identify this component on logic board of MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.0 15" Early 2011

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
Hi, i bought yesterday MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.0 15" Early 2011 that dosent start but i managed to get it working by holding the power button without battery and then plugging the magsafe. Theres no light on the magsafes charger plug. Macbook dosent start when i holding the power button while its on magsafe if i dont hold the power button before i plug it wont start but if do it will for short time. But when i checked the logic board i found that there is one component missing and i dont know what it is, if you can help me and tell me what it is i can maybe fix my macbook. Thank you very much and im sorry about my english, its not good becouse im from finland. Heres a picture what component it is, this is not my macbook but its from google.

If somebody needs more pictures just ask.

Heres a link to image: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vo6eqa&s=8#.VSv49xcsxpk

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 19.53.44.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 19.53.44.png
    953.8 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
The component is burned on my macbook logic board, but i did take that from Google if maybe somebody can indetify it and help me.

gulftown17

Apr 9, 2015
Unfortunately small SMD capacitors usually dont have any value markings on them, so you might not be able to find the right cap. Maybe you can search for circuit diagram for your particular Macbook on google. If you dont find any, I would measure the capacitance of the other black SMD caps with the same size (I highlighted one of them) and put there a similar SMD cap with the same capacitance. However in my opinion even if you replace that one cap it might not fix it, because there might be also other issues.

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 177

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
I don't think that's a capacitor, its color is a whole lot different then any SMD one I have every seen. The parts that have the tan color are capacitors for sure. That has a black color, so I would think that it's more likely a resistor.
Dan

gulftown17

Apr 9, 2015
Yes, it might be a resistor, it would be best to measure the other black caps/resistors to see what they really are.

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
I don't think that's a capacitor, its color is a whole lot different then any SMD one I have every seen. The parts that have the tan color are capacitors for sure. That has a black color, so I would think that it's more likely a resistor.
Dan
Inductors are black/gray, too. I agree that it doesn't look like a capacitor.

I'd be most worried about why it blew up.

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
Dan

Thanks mate and i agree with you it dosent look like a capasitor after reading alot about SMD resistors but we will find out more after checking the value. Its really hard to know what kind of SMD resistor it is but im waiting tonight for my Fluke 179 true rms multimeter to come so i can test the others that look a like. I will keep you posted and thank you.

Last edited:

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
Inductors are black/gray, too. I agree that it doesn't look like a capacitor.

I'd be most worried about why it blew up.

Its really weird that its the only thing that blew up on logic board, ofc i dont know is something else damaged but everything seems ok but when i plug the magsafe and the green light pops up you cant start it, only when theres no power or magsafe plugged. I have to keep holding the power button and then plug the magsafe to start but then theres no lights on magsafes charger on any other lights on macbook, but of course sounds and the apple logo comes. The fans run high all the time and its just a period time when macbook turns off. I dont know and im not sure but i think without that SMD resistor it cant start properly.

Last edited:

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
Unfortunately small SMD capacitors usually dont have any value markings on them, so you might not be able to find the right cap. Maybe you can search for circuit diagram for your particular Macbook on google. If you dont find any, I would measure the capacitance of the other black SMD caps with the same size (I highlighted one of them) and put there a similar SMD cap with the same capacitance. However in my opinion even if you replace that one cap it might not fix it, because there might be also other issues.

Thanks mate for everything, and thank you all for helping me. I will keep you posted.

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
Dan

I've asked sellers in ebay that have same logic board as mine to check the value of that resistor we thought to be but its a inductor. So the value of it its .3 ohms Inductor. How i do get a 3 ohms inductor like that? Can i just take it from some other logic board? He said its point 3 ohms? Does that mean its 0.3 ohms?

Last edited:

gulftown17

Apr 9, 2015
If its an inductor, you have to also know its inductance. You should also check what package it is (like 1206, 0805, 0603 and so on). Then you can buy your spare part.

Last edited:

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
You'll probably have to find a seller with a way to measure inductance and get that from him. The 0.3 ohms doesn't mean much.

My point with worrying about what caused it is that it might not have been that component that caused the failure. You could just put a new, correct part on and have the same thing happen again.

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015
You'll probably have to find a seller with a way to measure inductance and get that from him. The 0.3 ohms doesn't mean much.

My point with worrying about what caused it is that it might not have been that component that caused the failure. You could just put a new, correct part on and have the same thing happen again.

Well i will have to ask the seller to measure inductance of that inductor. I dont know what caused the failure but the seller from whom i bought this macbook used an old charger that had less amps than should have been. It was a 60W charger and it must be 85W, but im not so sure, maybe theres something else wrong with logic board. I will have to check with my multimeter tomorrow if i can find something else wrong with it but thanks for taking time replying to my questions! :)

Last edited:

Dencorius

Apr 13, 2015

I fixed it. It was thunderbolt ports Inductor so it didint fix the starting problem, i still have to hold the power button then connectin magsafe to start it. Maybe theres something else wrong with logic board.