Connect with us

Can anyone identify the correct value of this resistor

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by jamie398, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jamie398

jamie398

Jun 20, 2013
    Hi, Removed this from a SMPS and it's open circuit but after a good google I just want to be sure so I thout I would ask the experts. And any additional advice on what to search for to replace it would be very welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    If the second band from the left is grey (it appears so) this is a 280K resistor 5% tolerance (gold band on the right), it looks like it is a 1, 2, or 5 watt flame resistant one. (larger form factor, grey in color indicates high wattage, non-reflective coating indicates flame resistant)

it is hard to tell the first band may be brown (I was assuming red) this would make it a 180K resistor, or the second band could be brown meaning it is a 210K, sorry for the imprecise answer

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Jamie
    welcome to the forums :)

280k isnt a standard value
    more likely to be 270k the violet of the 7 has just faded with heat etc :)

Dave

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. jamie398

jamie398

Jun 20, 2013
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

5. Miguel Lopez

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
    Use a knife to rasp the paint near both ends. It should probably be open in one of the end caps. Measure resistance in the resistive material near the ends trying to get continuity. That will give you an idea of the nominal value. Hope this help.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I vote for 180K.

Bob

7. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    I too vote 180k. Resistors' colours don't tend to fade unless used in rare instances, even after many years, so I'd say 180k is a fairly solid choice. Of course, you can always measure it, just bear in mind the 5% tolerance.

8. Number

Number

Jun 9, 2013
    Thats what it looks like to me. :)

If you have a multimeter you can just measure it. If you don't, Harbor Freight Tools sells a small, cheap one for about $3.

Multimeter.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    he said its open cct so he cant measure it .... hence why he's asking about the colour banding ;)

Dave

10. Number

Number

Jun 9, 2013
    Which is also why I linked a ridiculously cheap Multimeter so he can measure in the future. :cool:

It's a cheap meter, but at $3 it's a no brainer. For very simple tasks on small things, such as this resistor, it is very well suited for this task.

11. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's the resistor that's open circuit...

12. Andre Gopee

Andre Gopee

Sep 12, 2012
    As Miguel said take a knife or a razor blade and scrape the protective layer carefully off and measure the spiral groove that is laser beam on the metal body starting from one end of the winding to the end of the other winding. You will get the exact measurement of the resistor regardless if the resistor is open.

Andre

Ask a Question