Connect with us

Can anyone id the male/female connector pair in this picture?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by auric, Dec 4, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. auric

auric

Dec 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

Need the exact name. Sorry for the low res. And how to attach it to wires--is it clamp-on/crimping?

thx

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi auric.
    Welcome to the forum, its a molex connector, but a hybrid type, manufacturers tend to use there own design spec, you might find an exact same type interface connector, but i would not hold my breath. :)

3. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
    You may be able to find something that would mate with either end from one of the big distributors, like Digi-Key or Mouser, etc. As Dave stated, most manufacturers tend to use their own spec on connectors to keep people buying new stuff.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of device is this?

You can probably find something that would work out there somewhere, especially if you have a half-way decent set of calipers to measure with.

Good luck and good hunting
    Matt-

4. auric

auric

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks for replies.

It's a PCB for a joystick, the connector is an optional wire harness you can buy for it and solder to it, but I thought it might be cheaper to make my own. Obviously the seller won't tell me what parts the harness uses so I don't have to buy his product. If there are similar connectors around with the same spacing (standardised spacing?) between the pins which I can solder to the copper contacts, it sholdn't matter that the socket varies. What would the best search criterion be to pull up the right product? "Molex connector" is a bit vague...?

5. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
    Well it looks like you have 9 positions there... I could really only guess at the pitch (the distance between the pins).

I would say get some calipers and measure, once you get some measurements, I would actually only call it a nylon connector as that wouldn't exclude any other companies from your search, as "Molex" is a brand... so is "AMP" and there are some others there as well.

search terms may look like this:
    9P (pitch goes here probably best if metric) pitch nylon (male/female) connector

You may also want to put in some other dimensions.
    That's really the best I could think of.... maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck either way
    Matt-

Ask a Question