Connect with us

Can anyone here tell what this is called?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Oddmoore, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Oddmoore

Oddmoore

Nov 7, 2014
    I pulled this little spring loaded switch out of a cheap little key-chain light. This would be as close to perfect as I have found for my little project. I was wondering if there is an official name for this? A name that I could use to search for when perusing Google. Lol
    The whole thing is maybe 6mm around. One little spring, a plastic pin and whatever that metal housing is.

Thank you. :)

Attached Files:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    dunno

show us a pic of the other side , where the spring is coming from

3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Oddmoore

Oddmoore

Nov 7, 2014
    That switch looks pretty good. Especially since I'm looking for the smallest components possible. Here's another angle of the one I uploaded previously. Maybe someone here will recognize it and or its name.

Attached Files:

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Again, that's not a switch, just a custom actuator for a switch. Are you looking for an exact replacement (unlikely to be found) or designing something new?

By the way, Fry's in Roseville or North Highlands or Metro Electronics in Sacramento may have a few tactile switches that you can look at. The ones they might have would be 6mm, 9mm or 12mm probably but it would be a start. If you know anyone that works at what used to be called "The Group", maybe you could talk them into grabbing you a few "samples" on their way out during the next layoff. :(

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    davenn likes this.
  6. Scotophor

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
    If the "+"-shaped part on the back of the disc is metal, that is (most of) a custom-designed switch specifically made for whatever you took it out of, and the only way you'll get more is to buy more of that item, or make them yourself.

However, if you simply want something that works the same way, the tactile switches mentioned previously might be a good choice. Another term you could search on, but will bring you a lot of larger switches, is "momentary pushbutton". You'll want to look at "normally open" (a.k.a. "NO") types rather than "normally closed" (NC).

Ask a Question