Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone here tell what this is called?

Oddmoore

Nov 7, 2014
I pulled this little spring loaded switch out of a cheap little key-chain light. This would be as close to perfect as I have found for my little project. I was wondering if there is an official name for this? A name that I could use to search for when perusing Google. Lol
The whole thing is maybe 6mm around. One little spring, a plastic pin and whatever that metal housing is.

Thank you. :)

Attachments

• 20141106_133920-1.jpg
    20141106_133920-1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 144

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
dunno

show us a pic of the other side , where the spring is coming from

Oddmoore

Nov 7, 2014

Attachments

• buttonspring.jpg
    buttonspring.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 131

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Again, that's not a switch, just a custom actuator for a switch. Are you looking for an exact replacement (unlikely to be found) or designing something new?

By the way, Fry's in Roseville or North Highlands or Metro Electronics in Sacramento may have a few tactile switches that you can look at. The ones they might have would be 6mm, 9mm or 12mm probably but it would be a start. If you know anyone that works at what used to be called "The Group", maybe you could talk them into grabbing you a few "samples" on their way out during the next layoff. :(

Last edited:

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
If the "+"-shaped part on the back of the disc is metal, that is (most of) a custom-designed switch specifically made for whatever you took it out of, and the only way you'll get more is to buy more of that item, or make them yourself.

However, if you simply want something that works the same way, the tactile switches mentioned previously might be a good choice. Another term you could search on, but will bring you a lot of larger switches, is "momentary pushbutton". You'll want to look at "normally open" (a.k.a. "NO") types rather than "normally closed" (NC).