Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can a Nicad charger be used for NiMH batteries?

SimonP

Sep 13, 2009
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have some NiMH AA batteries for my camera. Can they be charged with my old Nicad charger? I've tried it, but the charge doen't seem to last long. Have I not charged them enough, or charged too long and damaged them?

neon

Oct 21, 2006
not all chargers or battery are created equal. ltium is the hardest to charge

SimonP

Sep 13, 2009
What's Itium? - is it the same as Lithium (with alcohol added)? This is a serious question about Ni-Metal Hydride batteries in a Nicad charger - I'm not sure we're on the same page here!

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The answer depends on the complexity of your old charger. It might be non-timed, timed, or a fast charger with negative delta V termination. The last one is not at all suited for Ni-MH batteries which needs a more neutral delta V termination as well as a sufficiently high charging currrent in order to achieve a reliable charge termination.
With the first two you'll need to calculate the neccessary extra charging time, due to the much higher capacity of the Ni-MH technology. If your batteries are 2000mAh then you'll need to charge them four times longer than their 500mAh NiCd counterparts.
If your batteries lose their charge by just lying unused for a week or two then they might be damaged or worn out, and there's nothing to do about it other than charging them immediately before use.

SimonP

Sep 13, 2009
It's a basic Radio Shack NiCad charger that would normally take 18 hours to charge 500mAh batteries. The NiMH batteries are new so I guess I just haven't charged them long enough. I'll check the charging current next time I put them in, and adjust the charging time accordingly. Many thanks for your help.