Connect with us

Can a brushed DC motor have torque control.

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by JPU, Jun 3, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JPU

JPU

May 19, 2012
    Hi

I guess the question is in the thread title. However I can elaborate. I have been working on a brushless motor system that has speed and torque control. The costs are quite high for the brushless motors and controllers but I thought that torque control was not possible with a brushed DC motor.

Is this correct or is it possible to run a Brushed DC motor without a speed controller and somehow also have torque control.

Why/what do I need torque control for. Well the motor is use to drive a shaft which at the end has a hand peace. The hand peace has a diamond disk used to grind down horses teeth. The unit needs torque control as occasionally the head jams. When this happens if the motor continues to turn the drive cable would break. To prevent this we need the torque control so that if the head jams the motor will stop applying pressure immediately.

Thanks for your help in advance

Justin

2. Hexile

Hexile

Aug 14, 2011
    You could measure the current used, and then disconnect the motor if the current reading is at a different value than it should be.

This is just a quick thought i had and it may not fit your purpose.

3. JPU

JPU

May 19, 2012
    Hi Thanks

That sounds quite logical, I wonder if its worth testing it out.

I thought I might have had more replies to this thread but Ill give that a go and see what happens.

Thanks

Justin

4. Iron Will

Iron Will

Jun 11, 2012
    Hi,
    You could use a Pulse Width Modulator, it creates square waves to control the Voltage applied without wasting power on resistors. From what I know, the increase in frequency would increase the speed but increasing the amplitude (but with same frequency) the motor would have more torque.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/training/apex_tech_sem/PwmBasics.pdf

Just an idea, see if you can make use of it :)

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
Ask a Question