Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can 1 Raspberry Pi 2 Run Two Arduino Mega using USB?

Farukh Khan

Jun 12, 2015
Hello,

I am trying to run 2 Arduino Mega from two USB ports of my Raspberry Pi 2 and use it on my project. I am providing a 5V 3A continuous and 5A peak Regulated Supply to power up my Raspberry Pi 2. And I am using up all the raspberry pi 2 gpio pins and also all the arduino mega pins for sensor and other related things. So my question is does the raspberry pi 2 on this circumstances can power up both the arduino mega with all pins in use without any problem? Or I should made two seperate power supply for both the arduino mega and another one for the raspberry pi 2?

Please help me out guys.

Thanks in advance....

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
That all depends on how much current the other components draw. The Pi has a poly fuse which trips at 2.2 Amps when powered through the USB connector. You need to workout the current of the other devices and also include what the Pi is drawing if you are using this connector.
Adam

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A USB port can deliver 500 mA. Unless you are powering other devices, an Arduino should use nowhere near that. Calculate how much current the Arduino and whatever is connected to it use, and you will have your answer.

Bob