Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can’t find trace to DC jack

Chris1216

Feb 2, 2018
91F2A5AA-75CE-49E1-8F23-4C4D6E0F22ED.jpeg 70D8BCDE-988A-450A-83C1-5F9B600EDC1B.jpeg Hey guys, I’m a total noob at circuit boards and in the process of taking off the old jack which was broken I took off the copper pads.

Now I can’t find a trace to use a hook up wire can anyone help me please I would really appreciate it.

It’s my first time working on a board

It’s for a Samsung monitor

Chris1216

Feb 2, 2018
Oh snap that would not be a job for a beginner I would say lol

I’m only trying to repair this jack so I can learn I have been watching a lot of people on YouTube and I’m intrigued by boards.

Is there way to get to the other layer

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Boards can have multi-layers.

yes but that isn't a concern with this board

Oh snap that would not be a job for a beginner I would say lol

both traces are clearly visible

you have ripped off the top side negative connections
fortunately the bottom side ones are still there

the layers are on either side of the board, not internal to the board

I have marked the positive and negative tracks for either side of the board

bottom side.JPG

top side.JPG

Dave

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Nope. Multi-layered PCB's are resin-epoxied under heat and pressure.
Test resistance / capacitance across visible ground and VCC.
Measure between common ground plane (ADP_GND1 /ADP_GND2 / PANEL_GND) and ADP_VCC1.
No reading means a missing track is buried.
Some reading means maybe, possibly, hopefully the + and - are available.
Thankfully, your photos are very sharp and clear, EGGcelent photography !!
On to the pin-out and polarities:
ADP_VCC1 = positive DC voltage.
GND ((ADP_GND1 / ADP_GND2 / PANEL_GND) = negative.
ADP_GND1 and PANEL_GND are the switched-negative rail of the original socket.
However, looking closely, you can see that these are both connected commonly to the main ground plane.
(The pads all use a narrow trace to bridge to their destination - the socket's oval pads each use 4 traces).
Polarity is found by following ADP_VCC1 via the 3 amp fuse 'F801' then you'll see the 220u 25V electrolytic cap on right has negative stripe and white screen print artwork on opposite side (blue line), making fuse side poz.
Do you know the voltage, or already have an adapter?
Possibly 12V DC centre positive rated 3A or so.
Otherwise research specs on web.
Regards.
Clive.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
No reading means a missing track is buried.
Some reading means maybe, possibly, hopefully the + and - are available.

I have to assume you didn't look at my pix ??

NOTHING IS HIDDEN

Chris1216

Feb 2, 2018
Daven thank you for your pictures I illustrated something in photoshop real quick to see if I understood before I go and ruin the board more than I already did.

In the front of the board, the YELLOW line is a jump cable/hook up cable a that I would solder to the positive side by scratching the board to get some copper showing and run it to the back with the DC jack pin.
front_board.jpg

In the back of the board, all of the YELLOW lines are hook cables. ADP_GND1 looks like its good and it will still connect properly. PANEL_GND I will add a little wire just to make sure it's connecting properly to the copper. ADP_GND2 the copper panel fell off so I'm gonna scratch the board to get some copper to connect it to. The pin in the middle which you put was the only positive one in the back the yellow cable is coming from the front of the board.
back_board.jpg

I hope my pictures make sense of what I think would get me a connection.

Once again thanks in advance for your help and time.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
I have to assume you didn't look at my pix ??

NOTHING IS HIDDEN

Thanks, yes, only after shutting PC down early this morning (our time), then rebooting today and logging back on, did your 8:16 AM post appear - last night it didn't.
Guess the new posts only appear on my browser when I exit then re-logon to the site, or something.
Before logging off this morning, at 05:50, I traced every component and as you say, nothing missing.

I think what I should do from now on during long sessions is to log off / on to refresh posts.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I think what I should do from now on during long sessions is to log off / on to refresh posts.

you shouldn't have to log on and off that would indicate something oddball with the browser
just clicking the refresh/reload button in the browser should be enough. If not, then yes, you have a browser/PC issue

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
In the front of the board, the YELLOW line is a jump cable/hook up cable a that I would solder to the positive side by scratching the board to get some copper showing and run it to the back with the DC jack pin.

yes :)

In the back of the board, all of the YELLOW lines are hook cables. ADP_GND1 looks like its good and it will still connect properly. PANEL_GND I will add a little wire just to make sure it's connecting properly to the copper. ADP_GND2 the copper panel fell off so I'm gonna scratch the board to get some copper to connect it to.

all good :)

The pin in the middle which you put was the only positive one in the back the yellow cable is coming from the front of the board.

yes, just make sure it doesn't touch any of the surrounding track else you will get a short circuit between pos and neg

Chris1216

Feb 2, 2018
Omg Daven you are the man! I got it to work!!!!! Not the nicest job but it works.

DF2E6870-E7E3-4951-9AA9-BB8D04856B65.jpeg D7761A36-48A4-4407-9EF1-B2CB0EAA388B.jpeg F0866AAE-CCA9-4B56-B73C-C1B6233A1F77.jpeg