Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Campervan tv aerial conundrum

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
Hi, I have bought a usb tv tuner for my computer tablet so I can use it as a low power consumption campervan television.

I have bought a compact 'high gain' roof aerial as the signal inside my metal box will be highly anaemic - but here's my problem:

The usb tuner comes with a tiny micro (3.5mm dia approx) aerial cable socket - but my roof aerial with standard car hifi type cable and connector.
I can't find an adaptor to connect the two. Does it exist?
Any ideas how I can make this work?

ps. some usb tuners come with full size cable socket - but they have laptop/pc software - not phone/tablet!

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Does the socket on your tuner look like this:
index.jpg

And the coax from your antenna look like this:
images.jpg

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
20181211_163139.jpg Thanks for your reply!
Nope - neither of those look like my connectors - I'll try and attach compressed images of both and see if they upload...
The larger fitting is the aerial, the TINY one is the one which comes with the usb tuner.

20181211_163228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for your reply!
Nope - neither of those look like my connectors - I'll try and attach compressed images of both and see if they upload...
The larger fitting is the aerial, the TINY one is the one which comes with the usb tuner.

the large image is a standard Bellinglee TV antenna connector

the small one, unfortunately you didn't supply an end on view so I have no idea ..... as it, it looks like as DC power connector
as in, I don't recognise it as a RF connector .... it may be some oddball version of a MMCX RF connector

MMCX2.jpg

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
Apologies for the slow response - I've been away and don't get notification of replies.
Massively grateful for your help - the adapter you show on ebay looks like the one I need! I was resigned to it not existing as an ebay search was the first thing I tried.
Close, but not quite the one. Mine doesn't have so many split segments or the internal white insulator. Thanks for your help though. ( :

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Number of splits is just manufacturer's preference. If you use the short solid adapter, be careful to support the attached cable so it doesn't damage that little MCX connector.