Connect with us

Camera question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by schucb, Mar 11, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
    Can anyone explain how my camera zoom (in and out), and the shutter button work?

I am trying to wire from my radio controlled helicopter receiver to my camera. I have gear to stabilize my helicopter and ability to see what my Kodak point and shoot camera is seeing. I just want to be able to zoom, then trigger the shutter.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    They are generally momentary buttons... If you want to do it by remote you will need additional channels on you RC's main radio or a separate remote radio system...

3. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
    I have 14 channels. I just need to understand if there is any relation between the signal my receiver produces and the signals the camera buttons produce.

4. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
  5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Well your receiver should have two pins out for each additional channel, I would advice you use a light weight relay or solid state relay (provides isolation) to interface it to the momentary contacts inside the camera...

I can't give specifics because I have no idea what you have or what the actual logic, voltage levels or any specifics are...

6. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
    Actually three pins for each. Two are power and ground. The third is the signal

Signal Wire (Yellow/Orange/White wire)
    While the black and red wires provide power to the motor, the signal wire is what you use to command the servo. The general concept is to simply send an ordinary logic square wave to your servo at a specific wave length, and your servo goes to a particular angle (or velocity if your servo is modified). The wavelength directly maps to servo angle.

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
  8. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
    I've done that before. This is a small camera and hard to find a spot to attach anything to it.

Plus I want to be able to zoom, so I'd need three servos total.

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Again, I have no idea what you have... Make a bracket to hold the servo?

Maybe you need three maybe you need two, or maybe you get real creative and use one, again I have no idea what you have... For example if the zoom is your traditional rocker button use a single servo rotate one way it hits one side of the button rotate the other way it hits the other side of the button...

As I have said numerous times I (we) have no idea what you have so it's nearly impossible for us to give any detailed info so you will only get suggestions...

You will continue to get general generic answers if you continue to give general generic info with no specifics or details...

10. schucb

schucb

Mar 11, 2013
    Without being overly detailed, I'm trying to understand if anyone can direct me to information about how a Kodak shutter button works. You have redirected me to make a mount.

11. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Please do be overly detailed if you want detailed answers...

I told you in my first reply how the buttons work, that is that it's likely a momentary button (Google if you don't understand what that is) and yet again you are being general and generic Kodak make 1000s of different cameras... Sadly I don't think you will find anyone that knows the guts of all models off the top of their head or could guess what model you might have... I guarantee that they are not all identical on the inside, so there is NO way I can guess how any particular switch works in detail, the best I can do is take an educated guess that it's a momentary switch, but I can't say if it's logic low or high or any other details...

As for you receiver if it only has servo outs there are servo to PWM switch modules out there that will convert that channel to a simple toggle switch output, they are expensive for what they are but they are simple to work with...

If you want specifics again I implore you to spill the beans and give us specifics, take pictures give model numbers give any details you can, crack open the camera and let us see the insides if you want to hardwire the switch...

12. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You may want to study this thread.

The principle is to connnect a switch (in your case a remote controlled one) parallel to the contacts of your camera's buttons. This eliminates the need for a servo at the cost of tinkering with the delicate innards of the camera.

You cannot connect the servo control signal directly to the camera.

Ask a Question